Newbie bratstyle chopper build (with pics!)

Sparky

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys.
Ive been working on my first build (81 XS650) for about a month now, and though I've read dozens of posts on here for tips and tricks, this is my first post. The plan is to build it cheap, fast, have fun doing it, and end up with a fair-weather toy to take out when I'm not riding my 2006 Vstar.

First off, the wealth of info on here is staggering. It seems one can find most anything on building/working on a XS. Amazing.

Now, the good stuff.
The bike came to me free, beat up, kinda running, with plates from 1997 and a tank off a honda rebel. The PO didnt have a key, and the original tank was rusted anyway, so he tossed it. also, he smashed the ignition lock and was using a screwdriver to crank it.
IMG_20130723_175441_803_zpse160e676.jpg
[/URL]

So, it came home, got a bunch of new parts and an oil change. luckily for me, i had read about this and was prepared for it.

It got new bronze swingarm bushings and grease seals, and of course cleaning and repairing as I go.
IMG_20130804_123005_409_zpsad44b027.jpg

Then, more Honda Rebel parts in the form of rear shocks to lower it. (Giant difference!)

After that, since the turn signals and headlight bucket had been smashed by the PO, I decided to strip it down to its bare bits. This required yanking the entire wiring harness and getting rid of about half of it. Also, I cleaned and re-painted the battery box, as it was looking rough.
IMG_20130817_114547_214_zpsbb402c80.jpg

Yesterday I yanked apart the front end and got to cleaning the forks and front wheel.
IMG_20130828_210416_482_zps62e7b234.jpg

Today I got the forks polished up (nowhere near mirror finish, but plenty shiny.)
IMG_20130829_164242_626_zps5c7a1a69.jpg

Speedometer (with custom needle and dials reset to zero), neutral and high beam indicators, and toggle for high/low beam.
IMG_20130829_193741_448_zpsfe8320b8.jpg

As she sits now. Got the headlight bracket made today, and everything in the front end wired up and working. I just pulled the exhaust off, hopefully i can get that put back together tomorrow.

Left to do- 12" ape hangers, a seat, forward controls, rear fender (I think bob the factory one), taillight, and of course hacksaw day, when I remove all the factory brackets and frame bits that I do not need. Feel free to advise and criticize- I sure aint ever done this before!

And to end the post, a picture of the pile of stuff Ive removed from this beast....
IMG_20130818_113833_872_zpsafd13204.jpg

Looks like a great start! I like and was thinking about doing the rebel shocks to...but damn that looks like you won't have clearance when you put fender back on. Or is it ok?

How did you get your odo set to zero? I'm back on the road on my fresh overhaul and was just thinking about how to reset it to track mileage.

payaso13- The clearance is enough for a fender, just hard to see in the pic. i cant promise what the clearance would look like riding 2up if you both weigh 180+, but plenty for normal conditions.

Anlaf- thanks!

cmyoch- it requires a bit of patience. first, pry open the speedometer, dont break the glass to tear the rubber gasket, remove the face plate, then remove 2 tiny c-clips on the shaft that the number wheels sit on. this gives you just enough room to "open" a space between the wheels (i guess letting gears disengage), which lets you rotate the dials by hand. i'd love to show pictures with arrows and such, but I didnt take any. I did, however, break the glass and tear the rubber gasket :doh:
also, it might be possible to hook it to an electric drill and spin it backwards. i did that to one once. :D

Hi guys.
First off, the wealth of info on here is staggering. It seems one can find most anything on building/working on a XS. Amazing.

The bike came to me free, beat up, kinda running... ...got a bunch of new parts and an oil change. luckily for me, i had read about this and was prepared for it.

Now HERE's someone who knows how to research! Welcome to the Forum Sparky...

Thanks sparky...you can always put it on center stand and put it in reverse like ferris bueller to take miles off...:laugh:

Yesterday I launched into the exhaust. I'm not really a fan of the megaphones, so i scored some harley pipes for $10 on ebay and set to work. Hopefully i'll get them welded together this weekend (its just a mock-up now) These are straightpipes, might have to stuff some baffles in there, we'll see.

Start here-

i think it will work...

Update!
During a nice 3 day weekend of wrenching, watching football at the local drinkery, and recovering from said football game, I actually got some stuff done.
Got the exhaust welded up and remounted. I'd add pics, but they look identical to the last pic. The straightpipes are pretty loud. I rode around the block and decided that baffles are in order.
Also, the carbs really need a cleaning. Engine is running quite badly. not a surprise, the thing sat for near 15 years before I got it. more forum searching has turned up that my symptoms go away with a cleaning. time to order a rebuild kit i suppose.

new progress, today was hacksaw day, and some frame cutting commenced! got the rear hoop and the pass. footpeg bits removed, as well as some brackets on the downtubes.

After hacking, I welded up the ugly holes. Also here is a mock-up of how i want my rear fender; i'll have to figure out some brackets.

hopefully more progress this week, working on the rear fender mounts, wiring cleanup, and sheet metal pieces to cover the battery box.

Dem LSU boys, cha. Geaux Tigers! I gaarrontee dey make the playoffs dis year. Dem Tigers gonn win dat err time, blee dat!

(translation from cajun to english- The football team of Louisiana State University. Go Tigers! I assure you they will make it far in the bracket. Those guys will win every game, believe that.)

yeah, the pipes sound great, but I dont think the neighbors cat has come home yet.

Back