Newbie from over the pond.

Hi Guys,
As the thread says I'm new here, and from the UK. Looking forward to taking part in this forum and seeing what you guys are building/doing with your XS's.
Just acquired an XS 650 - well, 270 degree rephased 750cc Street Scrambler styled bike tbh - bought from a pal in Australia (engine was built by Daryl Hutcheon in Melbourne). Had it about a month now, awaiting UK registration. The Jap Bonnie is a bike I've wanted for quite some time, being great to bobber/chop etc. When my pal was selling his I just had to ship it over here. I'm currently fitting a 7" LED headlight to it and have designed billet mount brackets that a pal of mine is currently machining up for me. Also having the seat recovered in chocolate nubuck leather and am having some new 2 into 2 304 stainless hi-rise reverse mega zorsts built to add to the scrambler look.
Other bikes? I also have a KTM 1290 R Superduke (to keep me young when out on a fast blast with the lads), a 1340 EVO Harley softail that I've customised, painted in metallic olive green with gold pearl wavey US flags and 'weathered' army stars etc. and a ground up custom built bike styled on Indian Larry's bike Grease Monkey, powered by a fairly rare 84" S&S shovelhead motor. The missus passed her bike test a couple of years back and has a Honda 500 Rebel that I've customised for her, painted it in a matte metallic olive green colur, shod it in knobbly Bates Baja's. She loves it.
Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and to say Hi.

Hi Manny and welcome,
ex-Bristolian here, right now enduring the onset of Sasketoon's first blizzard.
disagree about the Jap Bonnie though.
An XS650 looks more like a Matchless than a Triumph but it's technically closer to a Horex Imperator.

Hi Fred, how long since you lived in the UK?
As for the Jap Bonnie, I guess its known as that in the UK cos it was a 650 360 degree twin, like the Triumph, sort of a poor man's Triumph back.in the day. Not saying it's a poor man's anything, as i love the bikes personally, but just saying.

Hi Fred, how long since you lived in the UK?
As for the Jap Bonnie, I guess its known as that in the UK cos it was a 650 360 degree twin, like the Triumph, sort of a poor man's Triumph back.in the day. Not saying it's a poor man's anything, as i love the bikes personally, but just saying.

Hi Manny,
I "voted with my feet" in May 1969. Age 32, with wife & 2 young daughters.
Oddly, when I quit the boss shook his head and said "I doubt you'll do better than here, where are you going?
When I told him "Canada" he shook my hand and said "We gotta have a big piss-up."
Back then I rode a plunger-frame BSA Gold Flash/Garrard Grand Prix sidecar outfit.

Great choice, Canada. We've ski'd and holiday'd there several times and love the place. Would love to emigrate there, as all my relatives moved there after the war, but it's a bit late for that nowadays. I built a BSA A7 chopper back in 79 and had a few Brit bikes after that but prefer less troublesome steads these days.

When I was boy in industry, I worked for Schlumberger International Wireline Services (an oilfield exploration outfit) in Warri Nigeria (VERY rough place) in 1981-82. There were a lot of Frenchmen, a Swede, a few Belgians, one American and I there - but mainly, it was Brits - lots of Brits.

After I got to know a few of them I asked one young OxBridge graduate engineer: “why are there so many of you folks here working in this....hmmmm....how to say this nicely....very challenging place?

He said - “Easy question Pete: I graduated from Oxford in Mechanical Engineering in 1981 and if I had stayed in the UK, I could choose from the following options:
1) live at home with my parents and have a nice car;
2) live in a grotty flat and have a decent motorcycle;
3) live in an OK flat and have a bicycle.
.....or I can come here and have a nice bike AND a nice car AND give my folks a bit of cash to help out the odd time. Having graduated with exactly the same qualification at precisely the same time in Canada, I noted that me and all of my classmates had a nice home and a decent car - and money to spare....

Now, I am not saying that everyone was in the same boat - but there sure were a lot of 20- and 30-something British engineers there in the early 1980s....

I may be wrong, but I’d guess that you didn’t become a zillionaiire, Fred - but nonetheless, I’d say...good choice mate and the UK’s loss was definitely Canada’s gain. .

Pete

Last edited:
Manny, I apologise for getting off thread. Pete, you have very neatly encapsulated the economic choices facing most young grads in post-war Britain.

I worry about the kids setting out now into the post-Covid economy. The choices look like:

1) live at home with parents and have a bicycle
2) live in a grotty flat and eat cheap takeaways
3) live in an OK flat and starve.

Manny, I apologise for getting off thread. Pete, you have very neatly encapsulated the economic choices facing most young grads in post-war Britain.

I worry about the kids setting out now into the post-Covid economy. The choices look like:

1) live at home with parents and have a bicycle
2) live in a grotty flat and eat cheap takeaways
3) live in an OK flat and starve.

My apologies too Manny and don’t get me wrong - this is no longer the land of milk and honey....unless you live away from major population centres and choose a high-paying career. Housing prices near cities like Toronto and Vancouver have reached stupid levels and jobs for average folks are not plentiful.

Ahh well....back to motorbikes.

Was kayaking for 5 days, around Desolation Sound, between Vancouver and Vancouver Island a few years ago, so spent some time on Vancouver Island. Boy, could I settle there. Fantastic place.

I may be wrong, but I’d guess that you didn’t become a zillionaiire, Fred - but nonetheless,
I’d say...good choice mate and the UK’s loss was definitely Canada’s gain. .
Pete

Hi Pete,
thanks for that thought.
assuming that I'd made the same lifestyle and career choices if I'd stayed back 'ome instead of emigrating to Canada;
let's say that in Canada I owe for a better class of stuff.

Back