Newbie help with controls.

colecrazy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm new to all this and I want to buy all new controls for 7/8 bars. I'm running a single Mikuni 36 and a Harley front caliper. Any suggestions on what to get? I've looked at a few sites like Motion Pro, Dime City, LowBrow.. Oh and I dont need any switches. Bare bones bobber stuff.

What kind of controls do you want? Just a on/off switch? Bike just kick only?
Need more info.
You can just run a key ON/OFF and Light Switch Pictures HELP

I'm new to all this and I want to buy all new controls for 7/8 bars. I'm running a single Mikuni 36 and a Harley front caliper. Any suggestions on what to get? I've looked at a few sites like Motion Pro, Dime City, LowBrow.. Oh and I dont need any switches. Bare bones bobber stuff.

Hi Cole,
it's all about the "look" you want the bike to have and that's entirely up to you.
Me, I'd go old-fashioned Britbike style, perhaps even those 1930s style reversed levers but they are a bitch to run cables from AND you'd need a remotely operated front brake M/C.
But it's your build, not mine, eh?
The only thing I'd advise is to choose a front brake M/C with the right diameter piston for your Harley brake caliper.
Mike "Mercury" Morse's Vintage Brake site has a handy chart that matches M/C and Caliper diameters to get that optimum brake "feel".

You'll need a clutch lever/perch, a throttle and a brake lever w/Master Cylinder (Appropriate to the caliper you're using...not sure on what size is best)... sky's the limit with respect to style, function and cost... so really it's up to you.

What kind of controls do you want? Just a on/off switch? Bike just kick only?
Need more info.
You can just run a key ON/OFF and Light Switch Pictures HELP
I didn't build the bike but it has harley controls with the switches filled in. They are big and ugly. It has a key switch and the headlight is wired to the key. No blinkers

Hi Cole,
it's all about the "look" you want the bike to have and that's entirely up to you.
Me, I'd go old-fashioned Britbike style, perhaps even those 1930s style reversed levers but they are a bitch to run cables from AND you'd need a remotely operated front brake M/C.
But it's your build, not mine, eh?
The only thing I'd advise is to choose a front brake M/C with the right diameter piston for your Harley brake caliper.
Mike "Mercury" Morse's Vintage Brake site has a handy chart that matches M/C and Caliper diameters to get that optimum brake "feel".
Do you have a website for the Britbike stuff? Not to crazy about the reversed levers though. I'll check out Mike Morse's site. Thanks!

You'll need a clutch lever/perch, a throttle and a brake lever w/Master Cylinder (Appropriate to the caliper you're using...not sure on what size is best)... sky's the limit with respect to style, function and cost... so really it's up to you.
Yes. I was hoping to get some feedback as what works the best.

Do you have a website for the Britbike stuff? Not to crazy about the reversed levers though. I'll check out Mike Morse's site. Thanks!

Hi colecrazy,
yeah, you gotta be obsessively into the 1930s retro look to even consider reversed control levers.
The key search word for Britbike levers is DOHERTY.
Here's one site with dollar pricing, most Doherty sellers are in the UK:-
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Doherty-Motorcycle-Parts/10063/bn_560558/i.html
Interesting chopper you have there.
The lines leading back from the engine oil filter cover let me suppose that the faux oil tank ain't faux at all, it's got oil in it?
If so, folks may or may not agree that the bike looks cool but surely it'll run cool.
And I recognize those bar grips. My XS11 came with identical ones. Careful use of a pair of sidecutters will snip the useless chrome trim off them to leave a set of useful long lozenge-patterned rubber grips.

Last edited:
The thing I'm noticing is the Brit stuff don't have master cylinders. It's looking like I may have to stay with the 1" bars to find brake control. The tank is fake along with the lines and it's the least of my worries right now.

The thing I'm noticing is the Brit stuff don't have master cylinders. It's looking like I may have to stay with the 1" bars to find brake control. The tank is fake along with the lines and it's the least of my worries right now.
Hi colecrazy,
ah well, the faux oil tank does add to the look even of it's just an electrical equipment repository and WTF, you can rip it out later, eh?
Yeah, Doherty stuff is aimed at old Britbikes that don't believe in hydraulics.
But hey! Most aftermarket hydraulic M/Cs are as readily available in 7/8" bar size as they are in 1", you just gotta keep e-trolling to find them.
OR
If you really like the Doherty lever style and want a minimalist look on your bars you can fit a cable front brake lever to operate a hydraulic master cylinder that's hidden under the bike's gas tank.
My '74 R90 had that arrangement (plus a twistgrip that used more parts than were in the engine to let the throttle cable run parallel to the bars rather than at the usual right angle)
Note:- do NOT use ex-BMW handlebar fittings even if they are a total bargain.
Although they work great they are made to fit BMW's bastard-sized 22mm bars vs normal 7/8" (22.2mm) bars.

Back