Newbie here!

atom4488

XS650 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Newbie here with lots of interest and questions for the remarkable body of knowledge that I am finding on this site. Been mechanically inclined since my teens (that was a long, long time ago !) and have only recently gotten into bikes. Have been riding an XT350 for a couple of seasons and am trying to step up my game. Have three XS's; a '77, an '81 and and '83. The first and the last are titled, the '81 is not. The '77 is a "barn-find". Found it in my own barn as I have owned it for 25 years but haven't touched it as life go in the way. Starting to make it roadworthy and inspection-legal, as it will need to be both before it gets plated in the spring. Hoping to get some advice from the membership along the way.

Happy Holidays to the XS650.com crew from snowy Montreal!

Tom

Welcome. The '77 is a very good year and very desirable. Nice to see another being brought back. The '80's models are a bit different and more modern (different carbs, electronic ignition) but many of the parts will swap onto the '77. You could do away with the '77's points ignition system and swap on one of the electronic ones, but it would take some wiring changes. One of the big but simple changes you'll want to make is swapping on the type E cam chain adjuster from one of the '80s motors to replace the type D assembly that came stock on the '77. You could also gain some front fork adjustability by swapping on the adjustable spring preload caps from one of the '80s bikes.

Welcome. The '77 is a very good year and very desirable. Nice to see another being brought back. The '80's models are a bit different and more modern (different carbs, electronic ignition) but many of the parts will swap onto the '77. You could do away with the '77's points ignition system and swap on one of the electronic ones, but it would take some wiring changes. One of the big but simple changes you'll want to make is swapping on the type E cam chain adjuster from one of the '80s motors to replace the type D assembly that came stock on the '77. You could also gain some front fork adjustability by swapping on the adjustable spring preload caps from one of the '80s bikes.

Thanks for the input, 5twins. I will check the recently-acquired parts bike package (the '81 and the '83 Specials) which included a spare engine for an electronic ignition system. Not sure what is there as these bikes are not complete. Will also check the spare for the cam-chain adjuster. I am in fact rebuilding the '81 forks for the '77, so that will include the adjuster. I plan on doing the Minton mods and added oil volume. Thinking about going with 15 W fork oil and should really upgrade the springs as well as I am not a bantamweight.

Tom

Info on the cam chain adjuster swap is here, posts 22 and 23 .....

http://www.xs650.com/threads/cam-chain-tensioners.1056/page-2

Before spending money on new springs, you might try adding some preload spacers. You can safely add an inch long spacer and it will stiffen the forks up quite a bit. The adjustable top caps have two stiffer settings, each adding an additional 10mm of preload. Even after that, the original springs are still often too soft. A 1" spacer (about 25mm) puts you about a half step stiffer than the stiffest stock setting, and you still have 2 more steps if need be. I originally added the 1" spacer to my '83 forks but found it to be a bit too much. What I didn't take into account was you have to add a washer on top of the spring for the spacer to bear against and that adds up to another couple MM to the preload. So, I was adding more than a half step of additional preload, more like 3/4 to 1 step. So, I shortened my spacers to about 13/16" and with the added washer now have just under 1" of added preload.

One of the biggest benefits to the Minton Mods is that they make the forks much more responsive to the little bumps. Switching to 15wt. oil may negate that.

Hi Atom, welcome. I too have a 77, although it has been altered slightly from stock. I lived in Montreal back in the mid to late 70's, and where I learnt what cold and snow really was. As a young guy from NZ, it was a shock to my senses. I moved to the west coast in 79 and been here ever since.

Welcome aboard.
If you find your 81 and 83 both have complete ignition systems you can use one on the 77 and use the other on the one that has a title. Use the 80 and 83 to build one bike I might use the wiring harnes of the 81. It has less of the extra crap on it than the 83 has. Les to bypass and eliminate.
The 77 is a good bike, It has none of the extra crap the later bikes have. Not near as much 40+ year old stuff to fail.
I have a 75 much the same way. I di thge same upgrades to a set of 82 forks for it that you are planning for your 77. Works very well.
I have an 81 that I have used parts of the 82 to get it roa worthy. My 82 has no title.
My 83 runs very well and so far all the electrical is still working. The only thing i have done is the stock air filters were in bad shape. Most of the filte element was rotted away. I cleaned of the old element and wrapped the cage with a layer of 3/8 thick green foam from Uni Filters. Bought sheets and cut strips wide enough to fit the flter and wrapped around with a bit of overlap.
I did saap out the stock barts for some a bit lower and with less pul back for a more comfortable hand position.
You will find a lot of possible mods that can be done on your bikes. Simple things like new swing arm bushes, tapered roller bearings in the steering neck to complete conversions of the charging and carbs.
Some of these mods are well worth the cost, others not so much.
Reading through the TECH section is well worth the time.
Leo

Welcome aboard.
If you find your 81 and 83 both have complete ignition systems you can use one on the 77 and use the other on the one that has a title. Use the 80 and 83 to build one bike I might use the wiring harnes of the 81. It has less of the extra crap on it than the 83 has. Les to bypass and eliminate.
The 77 is a good bike, It has none of the extra crap the later bikes have. Not near as much 40+ year old stuff to fail.
I have a 75 much the same way. I di thge same upgrades to a set of 82 forks for it that you are planning for your 77. Works very well.
I have an 81 that I have used parts of the 82 to get it roa worthy. My 82 has no title.
My 83 runs very well and so far all the electrical is still working. The only thing i have done is the stock air filters were in bad shape. Most of the filte element was rotted away. I cleaned of the old element and wrapped the cage with a layer of 3/8 thick green foam from Uni Filters. Bought sheets and cut strips wide enough to fit the flter and wrapped around with a bit of overlap.
I did saap out the stock barts for some a bit lower and with less pul back for a more comfortable hand position.
You will find a lot of possible mods that can be done on your bikes. Simple things like new swing arm bushes, tapered roller bearings in the steering neck to complete conversions of the charging and carbs.
Some of these mods are well worth the cost, others not so much.
Reading through the TECH section is well worth the time.
Leo

XS Leo, Boog, Rustie, Kiwi, 5twins; Thanks to all of you for the welcome and for the advice. I really appreciate having access to the great repository of knowledge and am constantly getting guidance and direction from this site and its membership.

So the barn-find '77 is in the shop on the bike-bench. This bike has not run since the early '90's. Managed to get it to fire and run for a few minutes, but it will need sorting to make it run properly. Looking forward to figuring out the conversion to electronic ignition form the later parts-bike and probably a carb rebuild. In the interim, it needs a full chassis make-over; tires, tubes, stem bearings, fork overhaul with Minton mods + spacers, brake master and caliper overhaul, stainless line in front. Swing-arm bushings, shocks, brake overhaul in the back.

This bike will need to pass a government-mandated safety inspection before getting plated. Modifications can be frowned upon, so this bike will be set up as stock as possible. In the long run, it may get some mods, but is mostly intended to be a simple runner. I admire all the beautiful 100-point restos, but I can't see myself doing that. Trying to assemble photo files as I go.

Tom

None of my bikes have ever been full restos either. I just "pretty" them up as best I can, and make them mechanically reliable. Then I ride them, many for years and years. This 650 is really good for this. There are many little improvements, upgrades, and "fixes" you can do to them, most not costing too much money. You can make this into a really nice reliable old classic bike. Mine all have "patina", lol, 40 year old paint jobs that aren't pristine (but not terrible either). I like them like this.

Back