Newbie Intro

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just found this place, wanted to say Hi!

I'm an old retired fart, just turned 61. Been riding since 1965, though not much since 1990 or so for one reason and another.

Bought a brand new TX650A in 1974. I've owned a bunch of bikes, but that one is the only one I ever kept for more than a couple of years, and I've regretted selling it since I parted with it in 1981 or 2 (don't remember for sure...)

Anyhow, been looking for another XS for a couple of years and finally came across the right bike at the right price in the right place a couple of weeks ago:

xs650_2.jpg

'Druther have had a standard, but this is what I found, a '79 Special. I'll be stripping all the foo-foo sissy bar, fairing, highway pegs and such off it, putting straighter bars on it, and generally going for as much of the Standard look as I can.

Runs good, starts good, just needs some TLC and undoing of PO jury-rigs.

Looking forward to chatting with you all and finding leads to good suppliers and tips and tricks!

'Druther have had a standard, but this is what I found, a '79 Special. I'll be stripping all the foo-foo sissy bar, fairing, highway pegs and such off it, putting straighter bars on it, and generally going for as much of the Standard look as I can.

You sir, have my vote for Lifetime President of Planet Earth.

If only more XS owners were like you. :bike:

The moustach has held up well ))) Is that your Käfer in the background ?

Nope. Belonged to a buddy of mine. Dumb SOB sold a cherry '68 Dodge Charger and went and bought the VeeDub. I thought he'd lost his friggin' mind...

I was driving a '69 Chevy Nova SS at the time.

Nope, 61 does not qualify as "Old Fart". The "Old Fart" area starts at 80. I'm 72 so I have a few years before I reach it.
Nice 79. glad you're not chopping or mutilating it. Rock solid machines, run forever.

Nope. Belonged to a buddy of mine. Dumb SOB sold a cherry '68 Dodge Charger and went and bought the VeeDub. I thought he'd lost his friggin' mind...

I was driving a '69 Chevy Nova SS at the time.

They be a bit like 2-stroke bikes , You get one and become addicted . I would still like to rat rod one but ... I broke my habit and went bikes full time .

Nope, 61 does not qualify as "Old Fart". The "Old Fart" area starts at 80. I'm 72 so I have a few years before I reach it.
Nice 79. glad you're not chopping or mutilating it. Rock solid machines, run forever.

80 huh? Okay, if you say so. I don't suppose you could convince my knees and elbows of that by any chance? :wink2:

One of my other favorite bikes (and one I'd buy again if I could find one) was a '72 RD350.

Shipped one back from Japan (I was in the Navy, 1969-1990) and scared the bejabbers out of myself on the twisties around where with it for a couple of years.

80 huh? Okay, if you say so. I don't suppose you could convince my knees and elbows of that by any chance? :wink2:
I guess I'm fortunate, no problems with knees or elbows, Just the heart, had a quad 11 years ago, still have to monitor, watch fat intake, etc. Been riding approx 60 years. The XS650 pic in my posts is number 6 or 7.

One of my other favorite bikes (and one I'd buy again if I could find one) was a '72 RD350.

Shipped one back from Japan (I was in the Navy, 1969-1990) and scared the bejabbers out of myself on the twisties around where with it for a couple of years.

Not such a hard bike to find over here .The whole RD range was a big seller here as they were perfect for the traffic conditions and roads of the time ... mostly still are however they make good money if its a clean nice original one . My buddy rides in the 2-stroke cup over here . They used to use them but they modernised so now and then I get to have a play on his race RGV 250 .

numnum, I know of one here in Maine that's for sale. It is in excellent original condition, but the feller knows what he has and has priced it accordingly. My loving wife would have a conniption fit if I bought it.

To all, thanks for the warm welcome! I'll be hanging out here a lot and asking all sorts of questions particularly about sources for parts.

Been up since 0400 (dang day job...yes, I work on Sundays...) so it's bedtime for me.

Back