newbie question carbs

Trizz5253

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I finally Got my bike to start (not run) but thats a step in the right direction. It was running like shit but I could feel puffs of air coming out of the filters. Also after running for a few mins I pulled the plugs and the right was a lil black the left just had gas on it no carbon. Would that be a carb issue or timing issue? Just so you know it's a 77 with an hhb pma.

P.S. I fucking hate autocorrect.

Last edited:
Worked on it alittle more and I can still feel the air coming out of the carb under the top cover. Also I'm getting a lot of popping out of the left exhaust. I put my hand by the pipe and the exhaust feels warm def not as hot as the right. Not cold but close. I pulled the plug and you can tell it was firing now.

Last edited:
There are a million threads on this if you do a search, so I'm not going to go into a lot of detail, but you likely have a clogged pilot jet and or pilot circuit, and/or intake leaks, and/or you need to synchronize your carbs, and/or your floats or float valves aren't functioning correctly, and/or your air mix screws are miss-adjusted, and/or any of several other things. You need to dis-assemble and carefully examine, clean, and adjust your carbs. Most everything you need to know is in the Carb Guide:
http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf

Back