Newbie saying hello

XS6501981

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. My name is Rob from CT and I just got my first XS650 special 1981. I am the second owner and as of right now it has 7,100 miles. It has been sitting for 9 years and I just brought it back to life last week.This is my first build and currently transitioning it into a cafe racer. I have posted a few pics of my work in the last 4 weeks. I look forward to learning and sharing experiences along the way.

:bike:

pics are in my profile at the moment . I am learning how to post things in forums as we speak

full

Hey guys. My name is Rob from CT and I just got my first XS650 special 1981. I am the second owner and as of right now it has 7,100 miles. It has been sitting for 9 years and I just brought it back to life last week.This is my first build and currently transitioning it into a cafe racer. I have posted a few pics of my work in the last 4 weeks. I look forward to learning and sharing experiences along the way.
:bike:
pics are in my profile at the moment . I am learning how to post things in forums as we speak

Hi Rob,
nice bike, low mileage units get rarer and rarer as time passes.
Gonna put the front fender back on, eh? Forks get all wobblyarsed without it.
That or a TKAT fork brace. I got both.

Thanks for suggestion. Yes it will go back on as a much shorter fender. Still a work in progress. Electrical upgrades and such. I'm dead in the water till the pipes come back from getting a ceramic heat treated coating.

Last edited:
Hi Rob,
nice bike, low mileage units get rarer and rarer as time passes.
Gonna put the front fender back on, eh? Forks get all wobblyarsed without it.
That or a TKAT fork brace. I got both.
Thanks for suggestion. Yes it will go back on as a much shorter fender. Still a work in progress. Electrical upgrades and such. I'm dead in the water till the pipes come back from getting a ceramic heat treated coating.

Hi Rob nice bike. I'm in CT too and just picked up a 1982 today coincidentally. Mines in rough shape, but I've got some plans. Look forward to sharing local resources etc.

Did you send your pipes out or local?

hello
Competitive Edge Coatings.South Windsor,on RT 5. Price was $250 for both pipes ceramic coat/treated black. He also powder coated my chain guard,also included in price. They may be ready tomorrow for pick up. I'll let you know how they turn out.I can speak for www.mikesxs.net fantastic service.

welcome aboard! Mines also an 81 that had about that many miles on it.
Yours looks much nicer. good luck with the build. remember- we love pictures, and almost anything technical can be found via the search button.

Thanks for the welcome. Here is a pic fom earlier today. First time out of the garage since I brought her home stock 4 weeks ago. Looks funny with no pipes but shes coming along.
full

full

hello
Competitive Edge Coatings.South Windsor,on RT 5. Price was $250 for both pipes ceramic coat/treated black. He also powder coated my chain guard,also included in price. They may be ready tomorrow for pick up. I'll let you know how they turn out.I can speak for www.mikesxs.net fantastic service.

Thanks Rob good to know. I'm in the other corner, Fairfield county. I have a feeling MikesXs is going to have another very good customer very soon. :laugh:

Hey how do you get your pictures inside the post? I can only do this:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 126
That wire to your plate light looks like garbage. Why didnt you run it down the one frame tube towards the swing arm pivot, then along the swing arm

Posted via Mobile

Thanks Rob good to know. I'm in the other corner, Fairfield county. I have a feeling MikesXs is going to have another very good customer very soon. :laugh:

Hey how do you get your pictures inside the post? I can only do this:
JayR when you upload pics to your album copy and paste the "BB" system generated link under each pic. You can paste it in any forum or message

welcome aboard! Mines also an 81 that had about that many miles on it.
Yours looks much nicer. good luck with the build. remember- we love pictures, and almost anything technical can be found via the search button.
Thanks Sparky and nice to meet you.

Hey Rob, welcome. Thanks for posting the picutures, looking good, keep em coming. I'm sure many of us will be following your build with interest. I have a bone stock '83 except for a little front end work that I want to cafe so I'll be paying particular attention.
Yamimoto

Hey Rob, welcome. Thanks for posting the picutures, looking good, keep em coming. I'm sure many of us will be following your build with interest. I have a bone stock '83 except for a little front end work that I want to cafe so I'll be paying particular attention.
Yamimoto

Yamimoto, great to meet you I am very new to building bikes but I will share anything if it helps you. Any questions you may have let me now and I'll try to help.:cheers:

Back