Newbie to the forum with questions about Mikes XS

Its a real shame you can't TAG members in this forum the way you can in FaceBook. I'd love to tag MikeXS so that he might read all the comments before flaming someone over what I'd seriously call a misunderstanding. But I guess he's too busy to comment on my initial concerns of being potentially ripped off or answer any questions I had about parts he list for sale on his site.

A few minutes ago I recieved an email response to a question on parts from MikesXS, at least I thought a resonse to a question I sent them 19 days ago. Only MikeXS wanted to tell me my comments in the above thread were not to his liking.

RE: Questions about the 750cc big bore kit currently out of stock
Mikes XS
10:42 AM
customerservice@mikesxs.net

Travis, I was just on the XS Forum and saw your comments. Calling me and my company a “shister’ and “not a legit motorcycle parts warehouse” is offensive. Please find someone else to buy your parts from. I don’t do business with people like you.

Well I must say I'm a little surprised. He can't take 2 minutes to respond to my initial email and explain if his other parts might work together, and potentailly sell me more stuff but he can respond like this. Wow.

I returned the email with a complete appoligie and suggested for him to call me so we could discuss this further. I have edited my original post above and removed all insulting remarks. But I feel like my original concern of being ripped off was only satisfied by the other members here who commented above. MikesXS total lack of communication or customer service, was the reason I wrote this thread to begin with. In a business striving to be successful, high quality customer service is job #1. A real phone number is also neccesary and if your only avenue of communication is an email address, perhaps a timely response (within 24 hours) is in order. There are plenty of customer service centers that will take calls or return emails for businesses that are understaffed.

MikesXS I cincerely hope you read this, I hope you read my appoligetic email as well. It would be great if you'd call me so we could discuss this further, I'd still like to order parts from you......:doh:

We'll see.

Last edited:
Travis, please consider a couple of things. First, Mike's XS is not and has never been a speed shop. Second, two guys bought into the US distribution end of the business when founder Mike Lalonde pulled up stakes and returned to Canada to run the supply end and the Canadian marketing, and those guys are not motorcycle people, and they can't tell you what they don't know. (Evidently they don't like to admit to what they don't know, therefor the silence; their thin-skinned defense reaction is nothing new.) There are many folks with better ethics and expertise to buy from when you're building for performance, folks who have built and raced track iron and will actually pick up the phone and talk to you!

Thanks for your thread on the Pike's Peak race, and best of luck to you on both bench and track!

Travis, please consider a couple of things. First, Mike's XS is not and has never been a speed shop. Second, two guys bought into the US distribution end of the business when founder Mike Lalonde pulled up stakes and returned to Canada to run the supply end and the Canadian marketing, and those guys are not motorcycle people, and they can't tell you what they don't know. (Evidently they don't like to admit to what they don't know, therefor the silence; their thin-skinned defense reaction is nothing new.) There are many folks with better ethics and expertise to buy from when you're building for performance, folks who have built and raced track iron and will actually pick up the phone and talk to you!

Thanks for your thread on the Pike's Peak race, and best of luck to you on both bench and track!

Thanks for the astute explanation, point taken. I just hate to burn a bridge uneccessarily with a parts supplier regardless of their lack of skin. :shrug:

Sorry you've had a bad first impression of MikesXS but I can give my experience.

I've purchased in excess of $2K worth of parts from them over the last few years and never had any issues. There was one time when they sent the wrong part but that was remedied immediately, and another instance when the regulator I received was defective. They refunded it no questions asked. Other than that I just add stuff to my shopping cart and click 'pay now'. :laugh:

It doesn't bother me they don't have a phone number, because my email queries have always been answered in 24-48 business hours. I am not "old school" so it isn't imperative for me to have a voice to talk to. They always ship by the time they say they will, although I think I recall one occasion when they didn't ship an order until the next day. But I am glad that they offer USPS Priority now....cheaper and faster than UPS.

I've never understood why people think the part seller should be an expert...I dealt with customers similarly when I used to sell high-end cameras. They would try to give me troubleshooting problems and I would just have to flat-out tell them, "Look man, I just sell these things. I'm not a technician." Mikes is kinda like that I think. They have know-how but they're not mechanics.

As far as parts availability it is hard to beat Mikes for OEM stuff. You will find some things cheaper elsewhere but there are some parts you just can't find. That's basically why I've spent so much there and will continue buying from them. The fact they exist and with so many parts and easy browsing/checkout is one of the reasons that XS650s stay alive (even if people don't like to admit it).

For your situation it may be better for you to shop with 650central. I've never ordered there but I understand that Mr. Morse is very savvy and phone-friendly. Plus he's a racing champ so he could probably provide more insight for your build.

Just my 2-cents :thumbsup:

Back