Newcomer asking for advice on finding a xs650 in India. Advice for touring also welcome.

Here's the cover blurb and pic. Sorry I don't have the tech skill to post you the whole article but these photos might give a taste of things to come. There was also an article on an old guy, (kinda like me), who rode this 1910 FN Four across the country. You can see him here with some locals. Bon Voyage!!
Cheers .

Attachments

• India.jpg
    India.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 145
  • India 2.jpg
    India 2.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 120
  • India3.jpg
    India3.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 120
  • India 4.jpg
    India 4.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 132
there is a story of a guy who rode an sr250 (xs650 little cousin) from florida to panama. when i first read that 15 yrs ago it was already via the wayback, so it's long gone from search engines now. corresponded with him for a bit, he was living in thailand then. another story, on that adventurerider (?) site, of an asian teenager who rode from california to new york on a 50cc moped... lots of interesting rebuilding of everything along the way :) lots of riding on shoulders too

Thank you xjwmx. I will try to find that one. There just arent enough good articles on long mc trips easily available.

Cheers,

Fred

Here's the cover blurb and pic. Sorry I don't have the tech skill to post you the whole article but these photos might give a taste of things to come. There was also an article on an old guy, (kinda like me), who rode this 1910 FN Four across the country. You can see him here with some locals. Bon Voyage!!
Cheers .

Very good of you, sir. Thank you for the pictures. It's fueling my motorcycle fever, which at present is already getting out of hand. I will be glad to report to you from the field in the nearest.

Many thanks

Fred

So, that didn't exactly go according to plan. We reached India sure enough and just as we were starting to settle in the virus started closing doors all around. First the overland border to Myanmar an then internal borders between states. We did manage to go to one REnfield showroom but thats about it. At the time im writing this from Indonesia. We left India after being in India a few days short of a fortnight. I guess it will have to be another time for the great motorcycle holiday abroad. I sporadically filmed some footage from the showroom and whatnot. Will be adding a film about it later on and I will post a link here for anyone who's interested.

I wish the best health to all.

And remember, a motorcycle is a good way to save you from public transport.

-Fred

Hello Fred. Yes the crisis is upon us. My middle son just got out of Bali before Australia imposed compulsory isolation on overseas travellers last week. He is an Indo aficionado and even he got nervous on Lembongan and bailed half way through a month long surfing trip. You take care in those places - Indonesian health care is OK if you have the money to secure it.

Hello Fred. Yes the crisis is upon us. My middle son just got out of Bali before Australia imposed compulsory isolation on overseas travellers last week. He is an Indo aficionado and even he got nervous on Lembongan and bailed half way through a month long surfing trip. You take care in those places - Indonesian health care is OK if you have the money to secure it.

Thanks for the reply David. What was your son most concerned about? We are on the next island off Lembongan and you can really tell this place is a lot more quiet than normal.

Eliot was worried about the lack medical facility and the escalating security, particularly in Denpasar. Indonesia is really only a couple of steps from a police state at the best of times and, as you would know, corruption tends to dilute bureaucratic sensibility. He didn't want the Indos to suddenly admit to having a couple of thousand virus cases and 7 testing kits and start restricting travel out of certain areas. I don't want to alarm you Fred, the area you are in is quiet and the Indonesians need tourism so they will probably extend services to foreigners first but, you have to be pragmatic at a time like this. Personal hygiene, social distancing, (nearly impossible in Kuta Beach), and an ear to the ground is called for here.

Eliot was worried about the lack medical facility and the escalating security, particularly in Denpasar. Indonesia is really only a couple of steps from a police state at the best of times and, as you would know, corruption tends to dilute bureaucratic sensibility. He didn't want the Indos to suddenly admit to having a couple of thousand virus cases and 7 testing kits and start restricting travel out of certain areas. I don't want to alarm you Fred, the area you are in is quiet and the Indonesians need tourism so they will probably extend services to foreigners first but, you have to be pragmatic at a time like this. Personal hygiene, social distancing, (nearly impossible in Kuta Beach), and an ear to the ground is called for here.

Thank You David. These are very much the same reasons we left India. I've met people here who are clearly naive about the situation at hand. One girl openly stated that shed been hoping the airport would close down soon so she could stay even though her visa is running out. I also met an elderly lady who said shed stopped reading the news due to the fact that it was ruining her long awaited holiday.

Our flight home is due Monday, unless it is canceled or the airport shuts down. Man proposes, God disposes. We shall see.

Back