Newly rebuilding. Any tips?

Db1Rider

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I was givin a 1979 XS650 by my father a year ago. With a little tinkering i managed to get it running. Mostly all stock so far. There was a ton of valve clatter and the left side spit oil as it ran. Well last fall while riding at excessive speeds on the highway my left cylinder died. A few weeks back i opened it up and found that I dropped a valve. So far i have taken the top half of the head off and have a different head to put on. What all should I inspect and possibly fix while i have the engine tore apart?

What I have learnt so far(going to be rebuilding an engine myself soon!), while the engine is open,
replace cam chain and guides,
replace all seals and gaskets,
do the overdrive fifth gear mod,
as well as the solid shaft clutch pushrod,
do the elephant foot mod on the valves,
check and replace sump filter if broken,
PMA mod(optional!),
and that is all I can think of!

Someone is bound to correct me on a lot if not all of them!!!!

Oh and welcome to the forum!! Lots of great people here, but make sure you search the site first before asking questions!!

I was givin a 1979 XS650 by my father a year ago. With a little tinkering i managed to get it running. Mostly all stock so far. There was a ton of valve clatter and the left side spit oil as it ran. Well last fall while riding at excessive speeds on the highway my left cylinder died. A few weeks back i opened it up and found that I dropped a valve. So far i have taken the top half of the head off and have a different head to put on. What all should I inspect and possibly fix while i have the engine tore apart?

Be aware that the head and the rocker cover were machined as a matched pair at the factory. If you mismatch them you may have problems.

If you are only doing a top end re-build, then you won't have the engine cases apart and therefore no access to replace 5 th gear.

Thanks everyone. I will be looking into the elephant foot. As far as the rest i had plans so far on all of that. I read through and seen a lot of reference to the 5th gear and solid push rod. Im not certain im going that far yet. My brother wants me to have it running in 2weeks. And he wants me to have his 81 suzuki gs450tx running as well. While i work a full time job and other peoples bikes to pay for mine... Idk if i will have the time.

@retired gent. I had to order a new head online and it did come with the rocker arm cover and head. So far its coming along. miss my 650. Worked on a buddys 1100 ninja this evening and took it for a test ride... I dont need an 1100 crotch killer. I need a cruiser.

The 5th gear isnt the be all end all of mods - I wouldnt sweat it. Same thing can be done by changing out the stock sprockets.....and that doesnt required getting in the bottom end.

I did swap out my 2 piece clutch push rod for a 1 piece rod - I *DO* recommend this. Makes adjusting the clutch easier and I thought it made the clutch far more consistent in feel.

......but it doesnt required taking the bottom end apart.....it doesnt even require taking the motor out. You pull the left and right side covers off......push the old piece thru......slide the new ones in and put it back together - 30 min, give or take.

Back