NGK plug went bad in 300 miles?

ramairgtz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Trying to get my bike to run when it's cold is a real pain. The left cylinder always runs rough and back fires. So I pulled the plugs tonight and the right side looks perfect but the left side was wet. It started having this problem last year but I put the bike in storage for the winter and forgot about it. So I cleaned the plug and put it in the right side and now that side runs rough and back fires. The plugs are NGK BPR7EIX and I'm running the pamco ultimate high output ignition. The plugs only have around 300 miles on them. Did I get a bad plug or could something have caused it to go bad? Once the motor warms up it runs great.

Once a plug is "fouled" its toast. Grab 2 new plugs and diagnose it from there. Do your carbs have any vacuum leaks? Might need to adjust your slide needle on the side that is rich.

Carbs were a mess when I first got the bike running but they are good now. That's probably what did it in. I'm going to see if the local bike shop has these tomorrow and I'll pick up a few and see what happens.

Nah man, just go to advance auto and get the equivalent spark plugs to the stock ones(Autolite). I went through this last year and went through around 5 sets of plugs until I got it right:)

I recommend using just the plain jane NGK plugs, the BP7ES. That's all I've ever run in any of my bikes. Honestly, I think those fancy plugs are just a money grab. Look how much good they did you, lol.

BP7ES is hard to find around here. The bike shops charge an arm and a leg. That's why I suggested he go to advance auto and get the CHEAPER equivalent while doing diagnosis.

I'll hit up the auto parts stores tomorrow and see if I can find the bp7es plugs. The only reason I was using those fancy $11 plugs was they came with the rest of the ignition parts.

I know my problem with the carbs is fixed. Both floats were sticking and I was running the canadian needles but not the needle jets. Replaced everything inside the carbs last year at the end of riding season.

If the bike is running rich or flooding NGK's don't last, the best plug I've found for this is Champions they don't go down quite as fast as NGK's

Advance Auto should have the NGKs, that's where I get mine. They come in 4 packs and I suggest you get that so you have a spare set on hand. I've always had good luck cleaning fouled plugs with electrical contact cleaner. You can take a totally wet fouled plug, spray it with this stuff, and once it evaporates, it's ready to use again. Only takes about a minute.

Just put some new bp7es plugs in it and it started first kick and is running great. Should have done this last year when I was wishing it wasn't a kickstart only bike. Thanks for the help

Autolite #63's. That's what I use. Very well made. Often on sale at your local auto supply store. Less than $2. And...(wait for it...) They are the official NASCAR SPARK PLUG!!.....:thumbsup:

Thanks pete I'll pick some up and give them a try. Going to ride for a bit on the ngk then I'll switch to the autolite and see if it makes any difference. Once I got done building my bike I only got about 300 miles on it before it got too cold to ride so I'm sure I still have a few bugs to work out.

Whatever plugs you get, make sure you check the gap. Many come gapped for car use, sometimes .040" or more. That's too big for these bikes.

With Pamco ultimate I'd recommend .034 or larger.

Autolite #63's. That's what I use. Very well made. Often on sale at your local auto supply store. Less than $2. And...(wait for it...) They are the official NASCAR SPARK PLUG!!.....:thumbsup:

That's great to know..... now I just have to wait for my BP7ES's to go bad.

Back