night riding lights

doubletrouble

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was out riding with a friend the other night and he mentioned that it would be safer if my bike had two amber light next to the headlight so people would know that its a motorcycle.
I had the thought of adding two small amber lights(led?) tapped into the headlight and mounted on the front turn signals,just inside of the original amber lens.
Wondering if anybody else had done this and if tapping into the headlight would create any problems?

Thanks!
DT

I was going to make a box that would have the turn signals normally on, and would flash off to signal. What you would do is for each side find a little relay that is a normally closed switch. Connect the light(s) to ground and +12, with that switch in series with it. Then connect the wire from the flasher that would normally flash that side to the relay so that the flash pulse activates the relay rather than powering the light, so that the relay pulse turns the light off. Needless to say you want the lowest power consumption bulb you can get since they will be on most of the time. Probably big LED replacement bulb from Mike's or someplace.

Back