Ninja EX500 carbs on an XS650?

My 1978 standard is running a single fuel valve type petcock, aftermarket type from Mikes. The right side I simply blanked off with flat plate steel and a homemade gasket. Been working great for over a year now.

We're over two and a half years now zero issues. Single peacock from mikesxs works great. Blank off the other side with a flat piece of steel and some fuel resistant gasket goop.

I upgraded my 1974 650 project with a set of these. I purchased a beautiful set from Ducatiman all set up. These were perfect, locked brand new. 140 mains, 40 pilot, JJJ with clip set on #3, 2 turns out on pilots. The engine runs smoother than it ever did. Clean idle, crisp throttle response and pulls strong all the way to redline. One of the best mods I've made so far. Used a CM 400 throttle cable and a Motion Pro Throttle, set up fit perfectly with out any modification. I lost the OE throttle housing with the kill switch and starter button, but I wasn't using those on this bike.

Ed

Last edited:
I've been running the HKJ needles on clip 5 with a shim for a while. It was smooth as silk on the highway but the off-idle transition wasn't as crisp as I'd like. I was constantly fighting exhaust leak issues so I didn't want to monkey with the carbs any more until that was resolved. The exhaust is patched up well enough [for now] so I finally tried some HKK needles (still clip 5 with shim) and it really cleaned up the off-idle transition. Wish I had a set of HKL needles to try.

I've been running these carbs for a couple years now and they just plain work, day-in and day-out. My only complaint [if you can even call it that] is that it often takes two kicks to start when cold. The stock carbs and PWK's would start with one kick. Another [silly] complaint is that the idle speed screw backs out so a couple times a year I need to reach down and give it a little turn to keep the idle up. Honestly, that is the biggest problem I've had with these carbs after 15,000+ miles.

I messed around with extracting the heads from the N36N needles and it went very well.

Below you can see a N36N needle with a swedged on "nail head".
CVKneedle01.jpg

I clamped an old chunk of steel brake line in the vise.
CVKneedle02.jpg

Slid the needle into the pipe, then smaked it out of the head with a punch.
CVKneedle03.jpg

Head on a punch next to the headless needle. Notice the needle steps down where the head was. This means the head will need to be drilled out to fit the new needle.
CVKneedle04.jpg

I held the head in a drill chuck and drilled it by hand with a 7/64" drill. It's very soft aluminum so it only took a few twists of the wrist.
CVKneedle05.jpg

Comparing new head to the plastic donut from a BS34 needle.
CVKneedle06.jpg

There is a recess in the spring holder which the nail head fits into.
CVKneedle07.jpg

The plastic donut is too large to fit in the recess. This doesn't effect the needle position but does add a little more preload to the slide spring. I'm not sure how much, if any, this extra 0.1" of preload would effect the slide operation.
CVKneedle08.jpg

Just another note about installing the needles. Drop the needle into the slide then put in the spring holder and slide spring. Compress the spring with your finger then jiggle the needle up and down. A couple time when putting the needles in I noticed a lot of slop in the needle because the spring holder wasn't seated properly. If you push up on the needle [compressing the spring] then let go, it will snap into place and you should no longer feel any lash between the needle and spring holder.

Im trying to install new JJJ needles on my ex500 carbs and I just have a few questions.

I punched out the old needle from the head. Then I drilled out the aluminum head with the 7/64th drill bit as explained.

Now when I put the new JJJ needle through the aluminum head it goes through it easily and is not secured on. Is this how it is suppose to be ? Or is it suppose to be pressed on, because it cannot be since the hole is too large.

well after a million kicks I got the bike to run for about 6 sec before it died out.

All I did was install the JJJ needles 4th clip. 38 pilot and 140 main

Note : bike would start up and stay running before this.

Do I have to adjust anything else when changing the needles ?

Posted via Mobile

Okay well I got them running again, and was able to take my bike for the first test ride ever :D.

After about 15 min of the bike running after I would blip the throttle the rpms would mostly hang but also sometimes increase slightly then go down after like 5-10 or I had to shut the bike off.

Also, after first starting it up if I bliped the throttle the bike seemed like it wanted to die out . This subsided after a couple of minutes and didn't come back.

Any Ideas? Did not do this before

Would a diagraphm that is not seated properly cause this problem?

Pamco E advance so thats not sticking.
Running 40 pilots
1 1/2 turns out sync

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
You might try dropping the needle a clip. Also check float levels. A clear plastic tube off of the bowel drain works to determine the fuel level.

Last edited:
Like Ulaf said air leaks. The carbs need bs34 intake boots. Vacuum ports not blocked off. Your 4th clip as your base line seems too rich with the JJJ.

okay well Ill move the clip down one position and see how that goes.

However , I just noticed today that when I give it throttle only the left side slide moves up but the right side is not moving.

The diaphragm on the right side carb is not ripped and it has no holes in it. But, it is not seating properly in the groves. 3/4 will sit within the groves fine but there is one small section that will not seat in there properly as if the diaphragm shrunk just a tiny bit.

Do I have to replace the Diaphragm or is there a way i could get it back in the groves properly.

Posted via Mobile

Okay well I got both slides moving now, thanks for the tip with the grease.

got the bike to kick over first kick now everytimw, but....

Is the bike suppose to run if I back the idle screw all the way out? when I do the bike will still idle at the same speed, and if I screw it in more it does increase the idle.

For the record 79 xs650
stock motor
straight pipes
uni filters
floats stock height 17mm
JJJ needles 3rd
140 mains
40 pilots
synched via manometer
all vacuum ports blocked
sprayed carb cleaner , did not change the idle

Posted via Mobile