Ninja EX500 carbs on an XS650?

Sorry I can't help at all with the US rules. It is getting a little off the topic of this thread. Start a new thread with your question and someone will point you in the right direction.

Does anybody know of an aftermarket throttle body that will work with the kawasaki cable?

And how are you guys that are joining the XS650 cable with the Kawasaki cable doing it? Welding? I might have to go with this but unsure how to go about it.

Cheers

My kz440 throttle housing and cable would work. It would be a bit long but otherwise, functional.

Sorry, not aftermarket. Oem kawi

Does anybody know of an aftermarket throttle body that will work with the kawasaki cable?

And how are you guys that are joining the XS650 cable with the Kawasaki cable doing it? Welding? I might have to go with this but unsure how to go about it.

Cheers

You can do what troopthrowback did here, I did the same and it's fine. CM400 cable with a bit of fiddling with the throttle housing.

Started my xs650 with ex500 carbs. I have zero time but I like them. Even better than my Mikuni VM34's. Will go for a test ride this week-end. Evaluation will follow.

Scabber on the short two rides that I took, the carbs respond much smother than my VM34's. The idle is perfect, about 1100 rpm. Starts are one kick. Now I cannot wait for the week-end to go for a 200 plus mile ride. I have a 78 Standard with two petcocks I am presently using only one side. In the future I may put in a tee. The pilot is a 38 and the main is a 138. I think the needle is a gfh or gjh. You will have to experiment. I do have a free-flow exhaust system with Mike's headers and Brit style mufflers. I have a 2002 ex500 throttle system where I just use the pull cable.

Last edited:
My 1978 standard is running a single fuel valve type petcock, aftermarket type from Mikes. The right side I simply blanked off with flat plate steel and a homemade gasket. Been working great for over a year now.

Thanks for the feedback tonyc. I doubt that you will be putting the VM carbs back on after your long test ride. I think you have the right jetting for your bike. I just use the pull cable the push not needed. I now run the jjj but have tried the GJH. The GFH was his final choice I think. Let us know the long haul goes.

Nope the 017-188 needle is the jjj needle for the pwk28 carbs. You got it right.

Thanks ippytattoo. That's a relief, was a bit of an exercise getting them from jetsrus.

I've re jetted with the 38/138/JJJ 3rd clip/1 & half turns out/ combo (I have 40/140 jets just incase) . All I have to do now is sort out a choke, and work out my throttle (lots of good ideas in this thread). Cheers everyone for the advice. Can't wait to test these carbs out.

You must have a magic touch, I found dealing with jetsrus impossible. When a NZ delivery address was entered a message appeared that said pretty much US credit card and US delivery address or piss off. Good on you for getting through.
The GPZ carbs are great, one of the better mods you will love them.

You must have a magic touch, I found dealing with jetsrus impossible. When a NZ delivery address was entered a message appeared that said pretty much US credit card and US delivery address or piss off. Good on you for getting through.
The GPZ carbs are great, one of the better mods you will love them.

You can order from them mate, and they will ship to NZ direct, just not via the usual mechanism. What you have to do is take a screenshot of your cart and email them that this is what you want as confirmation and give them your address. Mike will reply back with the price in US dollars plus shipping and how to pay them. I payed via PayPal. They were pretty quick with the emails and shipping etc, all in all wasn't too bad. I had to use them as couldn't source locally.

Email: mike@jetsrus.com

Cheers

I went for a ride to test my EX500 carbs. I did not have time for a coastal run so I went in the mountains for some twisties. A good flogging and I still averaged 57.3 mpg. I am sure I can average over 60 mpg on a 200 mile trip. The bike ran great and I will not be putting my Vm34's back on. They may be up for sale later. Vm's are a great carb for the XS but the EX 500's are much better. I am sold. Thanks to Mr. Riggs for his research on the jetting. Mine is spot on.

Minor data point; running stock BS38s and airboxes foam filter covers on my 79 with commando mufflers and Pamco mech. advance, I went on reserve at 180 miles on a standard gas tank. Moderate to spirited riding on secondary roads with some stop and go city miles thrown in, 54MPG. This bike is a "half hearted one kick" start when warm. Or a quick jab at the E start if I'm feelin' lazy. I have a nice set of the EX carbs but have no good reason to install them. I do have a slight "hunt" at idle I would like to track down yet. I suspect the enricher plunger seal on the left carb is a bit rough.
Last week I overhauled a set of the EX's for my nephew on his poor starting, running 96 ninja 500, They seemed straight forward and easy enough to do. It now starts and runs fine. The closest I came to a smoking gun on that bike was bits of rubber chafing off the petcock seal edges probably fuggling a float valve. I did a petcock internal polish and flipped the seal over til he gets a new one.

Back