no battery?

nwhitehorne

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
not trying to be stupid but this is my first build and i was wondering how are people are running bobbers with out battery? and can you do so with electric start as well as kick? i would like both.

not trying to be stupid but this is my first build and i was wondering how are people are running bobbers with out battery? and can you do so with electric start as well as kick? i would like both.

You can use a capacitor in place of a battery. A battery stores energy chemically, and a capacitior stores energy electrically. The big difference is that a properly sized battery can supply large amps to a load such as a starter motor, while a capacitor cannot.

If you want to use the electric start, then use a proper sized battery. Just want to kick, then a capacitor will work.

No problem asking questions, most of them have been asked before though. Type into the search function button on the top of the screen.

Some are also using a different charging system called a PMA (Permanent Magnet Alternator).

Type PMA swap into the search button.

Both the electric starter and the stock charging system require the use of a battery. Running without a battery means kick-only.

Edit: whew, and again several other answers come in while I'm typing my own.... :doh:

You sure can run all those. I run that and also run a fuel pump and ATF ratio gauge on top of that with just the PMA. I did put in a capacitor though. Which without a battery you will need.

Yes but I am running out right now I will scan it later do you want it with just what you are running if so give me a list I have a few Diagrams. Example: Headlight, tail light with brake sensors for front and rear, Blinkers, ext. ext.

I'm running headlight front/rear brake sensors, brake light, pma, pamco, capacitor. Thanks man, I really appreciate it

Ok nwhitehorne here is your diagram NOTE: you can simplify things by not running a fuse block and just running all the feed wires into one with a 20 amp main fuse before the ignition that is how mine is but fuse block is safer I just have no space. Also if you have a front brake just tap into the Blue line for the brake light with the same setup as the rear. Run a power into the front brake switch and run the wire coming out of the switch to the wire shown in the diagram for the rear switch outlet. Also to simplify things even greater you can use the same power wire for your headlight and tail light just splice them together I ran mine together and put a switch in so when I start the bike there is 0 draw from the headlight if you need me to modify this to exactly what you want let me know I just had surgery on my ACL and I am in bed quite a bit. Please feel free to ask questions

Attachments

• PMA headlight blinker no battery.jpg
    PMA headlight blinker no battery.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 2,838
Back