No Flow PLEASE HELP!

Shabba

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
OK so first off please bear with me.... I am at my wits end on this...

SO I have a new build, here are the components

1. New peanut harley style gas tank. (has a single petcock) doesn't have any sort or venting tubes, so I believe that the gas cap should be vented.

2. Have the stock Vm38 carbs on the engine. (stock jets etc)

3. The carb boots have the plastic barb covers on them.

4. The petcock has a single fuel line that runs to an inline fuel filter (clear) then to the T connector to the carbs.

5. New Pamco ignition

6. Pod filters

Here are the problems.

1. The fuel seems not to flow from the tank to the carbs freely. ( I can see the gas in the filter and it isn't running.

2. with the left side pod filter on and the right side off, I have to put my hand over the carb opening to seem to prime the gas into the carb/chamber. Once I have done that the engine turns over, runs for a few seconds then dies. If it does run for more than a few seconds, when I move the throttle it dies/chokes instantly.

My question is this......Is there a vacuum lock or something happening? Because of the style of tank do I need to vent the tank? Should these barb covers on the boots be open or running a line off them? I seems that the reason the gas isn't flowing is that the gas isn't coming from the tank to the carbs fast enough or at all.

Can someone please shed some light on this :bang head:

Undo the line at the "T" and put it a gas can(empty). Turn the petcock on. Does it flow a full stream? Leave it on for a bit to see if it "sucks wind". Does it? Or can you hear a faint whistle at the cap vent that lets you know the vacuum is being relieved. If it sucks wind/ gurgles, undoing the gas cap(not-vented) fixes it and the whole empties uninterrupted.

If you have free fuel flow hook it back up to the carbs and drop the bowls checking for a stuck float. With the bowls off of it will flow enough to fill a chip dip container full without specks of black stuff or rust or mouse hair I'd say you have problems further down the line.

Quote: Have the stock Vm38 carbs on the engine. (stock jets etc)

Um somethings not quite right there.....

Do you have stock BS34 carbs? (they came with a fuel tee)

Have you been through the carbs?

Quote: Have the stock Vm38 carbs on the engine. (stock jets etc)

Um somethings not quite right there.....

Do you have stock BS34 carbs? (they came with a fuel tee)

Have you been through the carbs?

Crap my Bad...... the carbs are BS 38 CV Mikuni carbs.

Leave the petcock off, see how much gas is in the bowl, then turn it on and see what happens, you should get a steady flow of fuel.

This will make the job much easier.

View attachment 41169

2nd request, have you been through the carbs?

Back