no wiring harness, most basic harness i can make to check spark.

Curtis P

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just like title says, looking for the most basic harness I can build to check park and a fire up? I do not have a regulator, or rectifier. I have a stator that checks out ok on the olt meter.

Thanks,

Curtis

You don't say what type of ignition you have but all you really need is a decent battery and 12V going to the coils to check spark. Always a good idea to post basic info about the bike when asking questions (year, stock/modified etc.)

Sorry, I don't have any info on the motor, from what I can see its a stock setup, points and condensors.

I have quite a vast knowledge on bikes, but haven't got into wiring like this, I usually have something to go by to make a new one.

Thanks,

Curtis

Appears to be 76 points model.
I have just the plug coming from the stator, from what I can see, the white wires are charge wires, the yellow is capped off to nothing. Black is ground and green is power.

Now the best if my knowledge, I should run the power wire to 12 volts, run that to a switch for ignition, the switched power will go to the points which in turn will go to the coils.

Of course I will ground the battery and the motor.

Anything I have missed or did wrong before I go and run wires?

Run a positive 12v wire from the battery through a fuse to the ignition switch, from the switch to the coils. It would be the red/white wires on stock 76 coils I believe. That should get you spark.

+1 I have a house switch wired to a terminal to clamp under the battery post and the other end has two terminals to plug into the coils. That's How I fire up graveyard specials with points. Fired up a 79 that way today.

Back