Noise From The Clutch (Right Side)

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a rattle in my '83 Heritage Special for some time now. It is there most of the time but not always. The best way I can describe it is as if someone threw a nut in the cylinder and it's rattling around. At first I thought it was piston slap but just yesterday I noticed that the sound seems to be coming from the right side cover, right where the clutch plates are at.

When I got the bike last fall I was into the clutch to upgrade the needle bearing (to help find neutral). I didn't have any extra parts when I reassembled everything so there shouldn't be anything missing.

I'm going out on a limb here and looking for any suggestions.

Could be any number of things, including a broken damper spring rattling around, or a foreign object dropped into the oil fill hole by a jerk. You won't know until you take the cover off and look.

Grizld - Do you mean a damper spring that wasn't torqued down properly or something else? When I had the clutch basket apart I am certain that I torqued them all down properly. Think one could have broken? They are the original springs (as far as I know).

I'll have to check it at my next oil change...soon. In the next week or so.

Thanks.

No, I do not mean the pressure plate springs. I mean the springs on the primary drive gear that damp the drive train. Look at the back of the clutch basket.

I had a rattling sound that sounded like it was coming from the clutch plates, and it was pressure plate not lined up with the mark, and Rotella with 1000 miles on it. It was a scary sound. I expected to see one of the spring bolts backed out and hitting the cover. Also - it would not roll back in gear with the clutch pulled but would roll forward. 50% of the time.... Haven't had an incidence of it since I fixed the pressure plate several thou ago.

Right; if the noise occurs when you disengage the clutch, it could be caused by the pressure plate hitting the cover due to assembly error. This can occur, as xjwmx notes, if the pressure plate isn't correctly aligned, and also if the hub and basket aren't seated correctly.

Back