Noob saying hi from the UK

Cornish Pixie

Shiny obsessive
Reaction score
Registered on the site a few weeks ago, but thought I ought to say hi to everyone.

I'm based in Wiltshire in the United Kingdom and will this winter be turning the pile of bits that was once a '79 special into my interpretation of a XS650 based cafe racer and part time classic track tool. Inspiration for the look of the bike is being taken from the OW20 and OW23 TZR500 factory bikes but obviously with a four stroke theme :)

Once the build begins in earnest I will start a build thread and share progress (or no progress when none is made ;) )

This is a bit of a return to bike building after too many years, so I'm sure I will need loads of help and will have loads of questions for all you 650 experts, so please be patient when I ask the stoopid questions (I promise to use the search function before asking :) )

Anyway looking forward to bcoming part of the community as my 650 adventure takes shape and hits the road sometime next spring.

Cornish Pixie

Welcome my brother across the pond! We don't penalize for lack of progress or we'd all be in trouble. Put up some pictures when you get a chance.

Hello and welcome .. I am also a noob in the XS650 world but mine is up and running now ))

Welcome my brother across the pond! We don't penalize for lack of progress or we'd all be in trouble. Put up some pictures when you get a chance.

Hi, if I put a picture up now it will look like a combination of a bike that looks like a part broken wreck, a load of second hand parts and a load of invoices for new parts that are on order but not yet delivered :D

Build will be starting properly in the next 2-3 weeks with a target to complete it by March.

Hello and welcome .. I am also a noob in the XS650 world but mine is up and running now ))

Mine was running when I bought it 3 years ago, not very well, but it was running.

650Project024.jpg

Doesn't look like this now, it's just a big pile of bits.

I think we have the same seat unit )) Thast a nice front mudguard you got there ... If someone wasn't going to use that someone else would like to buy that and cut it up for his wot dont have one to keep the crap out his face when riding ))

DSC002641.jpg

Hi CP, look forward to the cafe build. Did the same myself a few years back, also a '79 special. Tis currently being refettled to it's former glory after a few salty winters. Should be back on the road about the same time as yours:)

I think we have the same seat unit )) Thast a nice front mudguard you got there ... If someone wasn't going to use that someone else would like to buy that and cut it up for his wot dont have one to keep the crap out his face when riding ))

I don't think I will be using the front mud guard, I'll have a look at it during the week and send you some pictures of it (underneath etc) if I decide I'm going to get rid

Back