noobie in Nebraska

Brant

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all - I hope to be the owner of an 81 XS 650 special before the end of next week. Looking to bob it, maybe hardtail at some point. My main ride is an 83 goldwing 1100. I've tinkered with it a bit, has hard bags and a memphis fats windshield. Rode it to calif and back last year. Have a 79 goldwing basket case I'll be working on sooner or later, maybe a bobber job. I am an active member at ngwclub.com. Naked Goldwings club, dedicated to the old standard wings from 1975 to 1984. Well, hope to be hanging out here more.

Welcome to the site n00b. Have a beer. :cheers:

I've spent almost my whole life in Southern Cal, but I grew up in Papillion. My brother and sister both live in Belleview.

Sorry to say it, but it looks like the Huskers are going to get killed by Michigan State next week.

Welcome fellow Nebraskan. Good luck on the chop. This board is full of info to chop, restore or maintain your XS. Good to see more midwest people running XS's.

Highside: Don't count out T-Magic, he pulls some crazy s$#t out of his ass sometimes but when he's suckin it up, you might as well just shut the TV off.

I am not too much of a husker fan, just don't care too much for the BS that goes with it. But too each their own. I am in Hastings, NE. You all ever get together to ride, eat, etc?

Highside, just saw the score, Huskers are boned.

Sorry to clutter up your post with Husker talk Brant, For a long time I was not a fan of the Huskers either but I married a fan so I had to adapt.

I have not heard of any rides or get together but I'd be up for one in the spring.

I am not too much of a husker fan, just don't care too much for the BS that goes with it. But too each their own.

I can understand. I hate the Raiders for the same reason. Raiders fans are like a cult out here.

I am in Hastings, NE. You all ever get together to ride, eat, etc?

Wow! you're pretty far out there from the big cities. Have you tried meeting up with riders from Grand Island??

I have tried to connect with other local riders in Nebr from the ngwclub.com site, but usually talk once and then they drop outta sight. My best GL riding buddy is in Denver. Do you know of any XS650.com members in GI?

I have tried to connect with other local riders in Nebr from the ngwclub.com site, but usually talk once and then they drop outta sight. My best GL riding buddy is in Denver. Do you know of any XS650.com members in GI?

Nope, there's not too many Nebraskans on this site AFAIK.

I don't even think there's another Central Coaster here. The Central Coast (Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo Counties) has a population of over 700,000 and I'm the only one here. :shrug:

i am from Omaha but have family in Hastings if i ever get my bike done and out that way we'll have to get out and ride!

i am from Omaha but have family in Hastings if i ever get my bike done and out that way we'll have to get out and ride!

Sounds great ! I should be in Omaha this weekend picking up the XS (fingers crossed!) If you want to pm me your cell I'll give you a call and maybe we can cross paths for a minute or so.

Heres a pic of my 81.
316192_2354595457359_1024377254_32162577_1621159886_n.jpg

Needs a little work but I did get her to fire over a couple times before I pulled the carbs. The oil fill cap doesn't have a dip stick and theres no sight glass. Am I missing something here?
The rear wheel is a mag with a drum brake, I thought that was odd with the front disk, but now I understand it's somewhat rare, produced only one year.

It should have a dipstick, even bikes with sight glass had them. Can you see in the fill hole and see it? Hopefully a po Broke it off outside the bike.

Just want to give a shout out to all my fellow Nebraskans. I'm from Omaha myself. Hey Dyer, I saw that you did the "open baffle" mod. How do you like it? I am considering doing the same to my 81 special.

I like the sound of the open baffle a lot better than the stock pipes and it didn't take very long to do! Eventually i will be ordering a set of pipes from some of the guys on here but i am wanting to get my brat kit done before i do anything else.

welcome to the forum. I remember the buzz in the motorcycle community when the GL first arrived, It was a Cadillac,a speed demon and a real head turner. The Honda guys just couldn't stop talking about it. At the time I was riding an XS1 and feeling left out with the bigger bikes coming out. I mean a 750 was a big bike back then, nevermind a 1000.

I'd like to see it when it's done. I'm just hoping to get my mostly stock bike back together before spring. New chain,sprockets, seals,paint,shocks, and handlebars.

It might be a while before it is done. I work at methodist three days a week, run my own pest control company, going back to school, and have two kids and a wife. The bike is probably gonna be a slow process for now... but i will let you know when i get some progress on it!

Back