Not advancing

Downer

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys went to check timing on bike it is spot on but when I rev it does not go to advance my weights snapped back no problems there but I did shorten the springs been running great but it should be advancing could this be caused by cutting the springs too short any other ideas would be great thanx in advance

Yes, you probably made it too stiff by shortening BOTH springs. You're only supposed to do one, test it, then do the other if need be. Usually there's no need for the second. You probably are advancing, just at a higher speed than you should be because the springs are so stiff. The advance usually starts happening a little above idle, say in the 1500 to 1800 RPM range. Yours may not be starting until up near 2500 or 3K, who knows, maybe even higher.

Ok cool ill change out one of the springs. What are problems or downsides of not advancing till higher rpm?

The performance will be very sluggish. The acceleration and RPMs will build very slowly and then when the advance does kick in, she'll take off.

If you can swing it go for the Pamco unit and electronic advance. Just put it on my XS2 and you can tell the difference. Very responsive.

Back