Not an OCC fan, but

Explorer352

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching Gas Monkey garage. Looks like discovery channel is having some sort of bike building contest for its shows. In the spirit of "competition" richard rollins crushed an old honda twin (cb500?)!! Common! It was quite painful:yikes:

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Apparently you already know that everything on TV is garbage.
BUT, I saw that episode too and thought the same thing. WHY

That guy is way too impressed with himself to be interesting. Just my opinion. It don't take too much to land on TV these days.

I watch it sometimes just because of what you said. Most TV sucks. So does the Northeast in winter! I do enjoy seeing him get soaked at auction on some crap he spent a bunch of speculation cash on though. I just find that a humorous learning cycle. Just because YOU think it's awesome, does not mean anyone else thinks it is!

They have all crushed non-Harley type bikes. I say non-HD because they make bikes with no Harley stuff on it, but yet seem to be die hard Harley fans.
I did think it was funny that they had the propeller and blender on the bike.
I bet I would be a better bike builder if I wore a trucker hat and had a beard.

A big nasty beard that you can't eat nachos with before church! Someone would have to show you how to not bend the bill on that hat, and pull it down over your ears, for some stupid reason. Who the hell tucks thier ears into a hat with a headband? Directions are obviously in order!

Aaron Kaufman used to shop here in Dallas, in Deep Ellum. He's nice as hell, doesn't give a shit if you ride HD or jap, he's the talent at gas monkey. That other dude seems kinda douchey.

Here's a few pics of Aaron's shovels

5Zglvl.jpg

njYyCl.jpg

This is their build off bike. It's a shovel. Backsteet bucket did the paint.

v385yl.jpg

I was riding my pedal bike by aaron's shop a couple years back when I saw his scoots, he stood there and spoke to me for 45 minutes, and showed me around the place.

I joke about the beard and hat (not pointed directly at Aaron) because I have met, and did some work for, a couple "builders" that were on TV. Key word here is "were". Put them and all their friends together and you couldn't tell one guy from another or one bike from another. It was a sea of black t's and old school Raybans. All you had to do to move the whole crowd was announce:
"Attention please, will the owner of a rigid with a peanut tank and white-walls please come to the main booth".

That shovel with the silver wassell tank was on ebay last summer. That's the reason why i started my project.
Just sayin... cool to see it again.
I was actually emailing him about it. I told him I was going to build one just like it someday. He was like,ya, good luck with that.

"Attention please, will the owner of a rigid with a peanut tank and white-walls please come to the main booth".

"How dare you suggest all our bikes are the same! Mine has pinstripes!"

I've always wondered at the fact that groups that claim to be "non-conformist" seem to have the most rigidly defined rules for acceptable behavior.

To my mind, bobbers, café racers and street fighters all originally come from essentially the same mindset - "let's strip off all the crap the factory hung on this thing and see how it goes!" All the rest is semantics.

Choppers are a bit different, simply because no one would add rake to a stock bike with the intention of increasing performance - not saying you can't make a chopper handle, just saying that isn't the reason for it.

As for the TV show, I haven't had cable in over a decade. What I have noticed from bits caught in passing is that most TV bike builders are more interested in promoting themselves than building anything.

I like all bikes and have respect for all builds. I've had stock, bobbers, rigids and just strange bikes. Every bike is cool to me. But I find it funny that some of these famous builders just keep adding weird crap to their bikes, like smoke machines, but it's still a basic bike they always build. They just put things on it. I think if you are going to have a TV show, then build your own damn engine or something. Instead they call in painters, engine guys, electronics guy, stereo guys (??) and the head of Tonka Toys.

Well, as Jason Martin told me and my brother-in-law (at the Duncanville Walmart, my brother-in-law used to help them out with a pro-street drag car)

"6 dollar T-shirts sold for 25 bucks is where the money is!"

Back