Not an Xs650 but

cra-z1

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just completed a
walters 2nd copy.jpg
Restoration of a 75 Z1900B. A little ride on a chilly 40 deg day. I did this for a friend. We used a lot of aftermarket parts on this bike since the original had a lot of corrosion and rust. I re-plated (zinc) all of the rusty nuts and bolts. The engine has 2nd over pistons. The head has all new guides with reground exhaust valves and new SS intake valves. I used heavy duty cylinder studs from APE which allows me to up the torque from 25-28ftlbs t0 36-37 ft lbs. All the cam idler sprockets are from Liska. I normally don't re-torque the studs when at 36 ft lbs. The tank set is an aftermarket item. I normally have the originals painted however my painter has retired and the cost of the set is reasonable at $1200

Last edited:
This brings back a great memory and I thank you for it. Back when my wife and I were first starting life together we had a neighbor who was way nicer to us than he had any reason to be. After a few years of living across the street from each other he ended up with terminal brain cancer and a couple months from the end he decided to throw himself a going away party. Someone at the party rode in on a Z1, nowhere near as nice as yours obviously, and gotten too drunk to ride it home so he left the bike overnight. Next day I'm out talking to Bob my neighbor when he looks at the Kawi and says "You know what, I'm gonna take that thing for a ride. What's it gonna do, kill me?" So on he hops, and beside his place and sticking almost straight out from mine was a road bed they graded off decades earlier but then never actually made into a road (it's even still on some maps but isn't there in real life), and he goes tearing ass out through the grass on this bike he just sort of commandeered, unbuttoned shirt and belly button length beard flapping in the breeze.
He runs out of grass, locks the rear wheel up and slides the thing around and throws dirt into the air with the tire spinning halfway back to me. When he got back to me he shut the bike off and said "Damn that was fun, I haven't ridden a bike since the 70s. I should stole *this guys* bike years ago." Then he went inside to sleep things the rest of the way off.

Here is the end results for the GSXR. It's fun to ride but at 65 a bit hard on the neck. It went from
this
GSXR crank copy.jpg

to this
GSXR done.jpeg

The plastic is not an exact match but for the price hard to complain. All the plastic for $300 plus $99 for shipping. The tank is original.

Here is the end results for the GSXR. It's fun to ride but at 65 a bit hard on the neck. It went from
this
View attachment 163747
to this
View attachment 163748

The plastic is not an exact match but for the price hard to complain. All the plastic for $300 plus $99 for shipping. The tank is original.

That’s a great looking early GSX. Your usual super clean work!

Back