Not running right

brian lanigan

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hi new to the sight i have my bike nearly complette its a xs650b year 1975 but the engine is a xs650se year either 1980 or 1982 problem it starts but for some reason its not fireing right it pops on the lefthand pipe got all new parts for carbs and new coils and rectifire still not right would it have anything to do with the pick up coil need help before i go mental.

Last edited:
Was it running good before? Did you change something recently? Have you checked the basics like timing, advance mechanism etc?

Did you re-build the carbs yourself? If so did you read the " cleaning carbs " part of the tech section? Its easy to skip a step and have issues. If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner its a good final step in the pre-assembly process to make sure all the passage ways are clean.

You've mixed and matched parts but don't seem to know which ones. An SE is a '78, not an '80 or '82. You didn't mention which carb set you have, the old or from the new engine. Until you figure out exactly what you're working with, you're not going to be able to sort it out. And we're not mind readers here so we won't be much help either, lol.

Back