(Not XS related) Hydraulic valve lifter confusion in my cb700sc (nighthawk)

Mrunclegibbons

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Long story short; I’ve finished reassembling my bike after having to split the cases to change out a busted alternator/starter chain.

My excitement about having the bike slapped back together came to a halt when I was unable to get it to start. So I checked the compression and I’m getting 100 PSI on the 1st cylinder, 30 on cylinder 2, and 0 on cylinder 4. My working theory is that I need to bleed the hydraulic valve lifters, because I skipped that step when reassembling. I can’t seem to figure out how to do this, or what their action should even be when compressing them by hand. Some of the lifters are rock hard (is this good or bad?) and have no play, some of them compress a bit when I squeeze them with my hand. Anyone have any experience bleeding hydraulic lifters? What is your method? And what should the end result look like? Thanks a million in advance!

The plunger should plunge. Ones that are "rock hard" (not good) may come back to life after a soak in solvent. To bleed, submerge the working lifter in motor oil and work the plunger. "Google" the procedure.

The plunger should plunge. Ones that are "rock hard" (not good) may come back to life after a soak in solvent. To bleed, submerge the working lifter in motor oil and work the plunger. "Google" the procedure.
Thank you! This is exactly the answer I needed. I’m soaking them tonight and gonna try to go at them tomorrow.

Back