Now that wasn’t so bad!

Wingedwheel

If it wasn’t broke before, let me try it…
Top Contributor
Reaction score
As I was going to the MI Secretary of State to tag Patience I figured I would look into what exactly it was going to take to procure a title for the XJ. There is a separate thread about that bike but the short is I picked it up off FBMP for the cost of a parts bike with the seller claiming the title was misplaced. In any case the bike is worth saving and before I invested any more time and money I wanted to make sure It would be worth it. What I had to do was print a form online and call my local Law Enforcement. Officer came to my house within about an hour of my call, checked and verified the VIN for discrepancies, signed the form and back I went to SOS. The vehicle must be 15 yrs old and worth less than $2500. I made a copy of the JD Powers value with their description of the condition and mine fell into fair. Interestingly it states right on the JDP website the HD and Indian are the only bikes that can receive a poor rating. The description of fair valued my bike at $859 so I paid 6% sales tax on that amount which was more than the purchase price and my new title will be here next week. I was always skeptical a out “Lost/no title” bikes but that actually was made easy by the age of the bike. Basically I tacked on $64 to the cost of what I paid and that included the title fee. I don’t know the procedures in other States but the VIN was run by the SOS and the Police and neither came up with anything, easypeasy. In any case this could open up my parameters.

Have done 2 like that, even without local LEO sign off. Just a printout of KBB value, handwritten bill of sale, drop it all off at SOS office, come back in an hour (Harbor Freight is right across the road...lol), pay your money, title in the mail in a week or so

Back