NUBE looking for advice/ resources

gullymonster

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I just picked up an 84 xs 650. It was someone's project and they lost interest so its going to become my work in progress. Thought it was perfect, shows what I know, and I have a few questions looking to get this bad boy 100% +or- for the most reasonable price.

This bike has a few specific issues, but I really need help finding the general info first.

Are there any other xs models I can pick up as parts bikes aside from an 84 xs650 i.e. 79-82? xs400s? will they all have slightly different sized mechanisms or are there a few models that have pretty interchangeable engines?

What are the cheapest websites for finding:
electrical (rotor, stator, coils)?
Controls, clutch parts, and transmission fixings?

and I grew up working on a 74 beemer r90s with my dad. I need to find either step by steps or some high quality DIY picture manuals so I can learn this bike without having to call someone each time I see a part I can't recognize from the shitty picture quality of my .pdf manual.

Eventually I'd like to complete it as a bobbed but I want to first be able to get in and out of the engine before I rework the body.
All advice welcome, thank you in advance.

Kudos for knowing which end to work on first.
650Central or Mikes will have the biggest assortment of replacement parts.
Sometimes you luck out at the dealers.
McMaster-Carr has the nuts and bolts.
Several here post really good pictures, 5twins, Pamcopete,Retiredgentelman are a few that come to the top of my head.
I'd suggest searching by author with their names, then selecting whichever thread suits your situation/problem. They may (or may not) have posted some of their pics in those threads.
Is the bike a Canadian model? I'm fairly sure the last year for import into the U.S. was '83. If it is a Canadian several things were different. Mainly the fact they got two disc's on the front and the needle jetting in the carb.
As far as other things (transmission parts in particuliar) you may want to shop the classified on this site. gggGary, DaddyG and a few others are offering salvage parts on a regular basis.
If you are keeping the stock electronics stay in the 80-83 years. For mechanical parts 76-83. And then sometimes it's a crap shoot.
Welcome to the site.

Practically nothing from an XS400 will fit on the 650. Find a 650 parts bike instead. If you want the carbs, ignition, and electrics to match up better, get an '80 or newer one.

If if really is an 84 then he's not in North America... VIN number? Use the search button in the upper right corner for what you are working on just about every part of an XS except the ion drive coupling has been covered at least 4 or 5 times here or on the old 650 rider sites.
ttwp.gif

Pic's, Vin no's, (tech Section at the top of each page), and where you are from is important for people to give you the right advice from the start.

And Welcome to the site. Nice to have an intro from you and enjoy your XS.

weekendrider, My 83 Canadian Heritage Special has a single front disk. 5v5 03 Vin

Hi 650skull,
I thought we were the only ones shorted on the brake deal.
gullymonster if you got 2(dual front rotors) on yours, count yourself ahead.

Sorry my computers bluetooth is acting up. Here's the pic I can get right now. I based 84 guestimate on the rear foot peg brackets. No front dual rotors. I'll post the vin when I get back home.

I'm looking for cheap parts bikes although there doesn't seem to be much around, I wondered if some parts are interchangeable from a 650 maxim of a similar year.
and that there wasn't a huge difference in parts between 79-83 xs'
Cheers

Attachments

• IMAG0021.jpg
    IMAG0021.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 148
If if really is an 84 then he's not in North America... VIN number? Use the search button in the upper right corner for what you are working on just about every part of an XS except the ion drive coupling has been covered at least 4 or 5 times here or on the old 650 rider sites.
ttwp.gif

we have a ton of 84's here. lots of 83's that never sold till 84, some even in 85. vins say 83 obviously....registration does not.

It appears to be mostly a heritage special, 1982ish So any XS650 from 77 to 83 would be useful as a parts bike. 81 to 83 will have the electronic ignition. Any bike that is not an XS650 would be of VERY limited use for parts. Carbs are not heritage special but are BS34s VIN or a look at the date of manufacture on the neck sticker would ID actual model year. Made late in 81 would be an 82 etc.

AFAIK Yamaha sold a few XS650s as 1984's but not in North America.

Yes, VIN # is redundant. VIN = Vehicle Identification Number. # = number. So saying VIN # is saying Vehicle Identification Number Number.
Leo

Back