Number of Clutch plates

rmclaughlin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
1979 XS650 Special. OK all, so I'm still not positive of the number of plates this ol' girl needs. Throwing this out cuz I wanna b sure. The PO thought maybe he didn't put the correct number back in. There were 6 friction and 5 metal plates. There is a retaining ring and plate on the back of the BOSS. There seems to be space left in the housing for more. Just not 100%. Also, there was not a plain washer behind the lock washer behind the locking nut. Can I get one that fits at the hardware store if needed. If anyone knows the correct size. Please look at the pics and let me know.
Thanks again everyone!!

Attachments

• 20140717_183240.jpg
    20140717_183240.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 20140717_183309.jpg
    20140717_183309.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 154
The flat lock washer and the nut in the picture is all you need. Tighten the nut and bend the flat washer to keep the nut secure. The clutch pack is correct no additional plates needed.

It appears you have the later 6 plate clutch but you're not showing us what we need to see to really be sure. You want to examine your inner hub. If it's the later 6 plate type, it will have a spring-loaded steel plate retained by a wire at the bottom of the plate stack. It will also have notches in the hub for the tabs on the lock washer where the nut goes .....

LateHub.jpg

DamperPlate.jpg

LateClutchNut.jpg

The retaining nut gets a beveled washer first, then the lock washer with the tabs, then the nut. According to the parts diagrams, that first washer is not just a plain one, it's a beveled or Belleville type. It appears Yamaha used a double locking system on these later hubs, the conical or Belleville washer along with the tabbed lock washer.

Back