odd noise from engine

gravelman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hi guys joe here i got a question i have 72 xs2 20 thousand miles on it the bike runs great bit i have a sound that i cant pin point it almost sounds like a bearing noise kinda of a wurring sound if that makes any sence i have dumped all the oil changed both filters and no evidence of any filings that i could find it sounds like its coming from clutch side do these bikes have any known bearing issues other then that the bike runs very good any ideas would help thanks joe ohh i forgot the cam chain is adjusted to spec and valve lash is at 3&6 so those items where attented too thanks

Last edited:
My '73 does that too... whirring is a good way to describe it... like a Pete Jackson gear drove, sort of. I also have my valves and timing chain adjusted to spec. I can't tell where the whirr is coming from, really, but I'm keeping an ear on it. Bike runs like a demon, though. Just keep an eye on your oil for debris when you change it. I have found none in my side filter, but I'll likely pull the sump this winter.

TC

My '73 does that too... whirring is a good way to describe it... like a Pete Jackson gear drove, sort of. I also have my valves and timing chain adjusted to spec. I can't tell where the whirr is coming from, really, but I'm keeping an ear on it. Bike runs like a demon, though. Just keep an eye on your oil for debris when you change it. I have found none in my side filter, but I'll likely pull the sump this winter.

TC
thanks i will keep checking on it its all coming apart this winter for a reseal then i can check closer thanks for ur help joe

Back