Oddball mag wheel

willis

xsive compulsive disorder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
ive run into something a little different that I am unfamiliar with. Hoping the xs wizards can explain it for me. I am getting ready to put an Omar’s 19” conversion kit on my bike once it finally ships. Earlier this week I scored 4 19” mags from JRay77 for a smoking deal. Tonight I was looking the mags over and noticed that one of them is a bit different. They are all stamped Yamaha and all 1.85x19. The mystery one has a bit different hub/flange area. If you look at the pictures, you will notice where the mag spokes meet the hub most of them sweep right to the edge where the rotor mount meets. The oddball has about a 1/4 more hub area. It also has a chrome cap on the one side which I believe is not unusual. Can anyone explain if this is possibly a non xs wheel or what?
168DB8A8-BEF0-4A24-B13F-3C5FB5259E36.jpeg B3CEB568-9416-4BEC-AB28-84B9DF2880F8.jpeg

Not versed enough to point out if it’s an xs or not but the cover is common to protect the threads on the side not running a rotor I believe.

Eggggssssactly the same as an XS850Triple......................... Can't find my pics:doh: .......ill keep looking

Found........If ya look closely the shaping and non shaping of the hub can also be seen
Crop text  XS850 1.jpg Crop text XS650 1.jpg

If it had been used for a 650 before, only one rotor would have been used, then the cap from an early 650 would fit. XS850 Standards front end used 2 small rotors same as the 650 used on the rear in 78-80.

Last edited:
compare weights? Early mag were built mighty heavy. You'll prolly find that that 850? wheel is tubeless but still no safety bead :thumbsdown:

Skull.... your measurements match mine. Looks like its an 850 wheel. Not much difference in them for sure other than the hub width. I don't see any reason this still cannot be used on a 650 front end if needed. Fortunately i still have enough others for 2 full sets of 19" front and rears. I can hang on to this one as a spare backup.

Thanks,

Back