offroad tires

huj2000

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hey i got a 79 xs650 and i originally was going to do a whole bunch to it but now i just ride it around my property in michigan i got 50 acres and i wanted to put some offroad tires on it so i dont slip around as much when its wet and just have fun with it im having trouble finding ones for this bike i just wanted the cheapest possible ones i dont care about the ride or anything just want knobby tires that are the same size or sizes that will work just fine i dont care about brand just cheapest possible can anyone help me out thank you

What sizes or which model, standard or a Special? If a standard with 18inch rear you have lots of choices, if a Special the rear is harder to find in a proper off-road type but I use a Duro HF901. I might be wrong about it being #901 but look at DURO tires on-line and it's the one that looks a lot like the old Goodyear "GRASSHOPPER" from the old days of dirt track racing. Not very pricey at about 75 to 80 bucks for a 130/90-16 and last OK even on pavement!

hey i got a 79 xs650 and i originally was going to do a whole bunch to it but now i just ride it around my property in michigan i got 50 acres and i wanted to put some offroad tires on it so i dont slip around as much when its wet and just have fun with it im having trouble finding ones for this bike i just wanted the cheapest possible ones i dont care about the ride or anything just want knobby tires that are the same size or sizes that will work just fine i dont care about brand just cheapest possible can anyone help me out thank you
Screenshot_20190618-123851_Chrome.jpg

actually i was wrong i have the special and my rear tire is 130/90 16 (5.00/5.10-16) and the front is 100/90 19 (3.50-19) sorry about the mixup does anyone have ones from a brand that has both sizes because thats what im having trouble with i found 2 different ones from difference brands that are pretty close but if they matched that would be awsome

Been there, done that, try:

Vee Rubber VRM-163 dual sport motorcycle tire: 120/90-16 (tubeless).

They have a 19 inch front tire too. Both tires are a size narrower than stock but work fine and are actually decent both on and off road. You need to shop the internet to find them but the price is right.

Last edited:
another alternative for the rear (and decently priced)(but requires a tube) (but is the full correct size)

DURO HF904 130/90S16 REAR TT (Tube type)

search the net... most online Motorcycle tire venders carry this one

Up front the are many options

Ya im gonna give the first ones u showed me a try and i did already look at the duro i was gonna buy that and kendra makes a front that looks pretty similar but i wanted them to be the same but ya im def gonna look at the vee ones

No 19" Duro... Duro has a 21" front tire... I mixed and matched on mine. V Rubber on the rear and a Continental TKC-80 on the front... worked well together on and off road but if you ride a lot of road the tires go fast. Maybe 3500 miles before the knobs round off and handling goes downhill. The TKC-80 Is a very good tire but not cheap. If you look at Shinko there will be a more affordable equivalent. When you have a 16" rear and 19" front there are only a few options. Because I ride on the street more I switched to Kenda K671 Tires. These tires kept popping up as well regarded tires all over the internet. The are most affordable, fit perfectly, look good, handle quite well and are aggressive enough for dirt roads. Maybe not what huj2000 needs but as a street biased dual sport tire they are great!

Back