Oh Crap, Rear Brake Went Kerfluey

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headed up to my dad's place today to help him cut down a couple trees. As I hit the rear brake the pedal jumped at my foot and I had no rear brake. A quick "oh shit" moment. Turns out that I forgot to tighten the tensioner bar that secures the rear brake drum when I had new tires put on the wheels. The drum spun, wrapped the brake rod half way around the rear axle, twisted the brake actuator lever and twisted the splines on the actuator lever shaft. So now I'm looking for a new rear brake drum as mine is toast. I can't pull the splined shaft out of the drum because it is slightly bent and twisted.

Sent a forum member a PM to see if he has the parts (god I hope he has them). Looks like I'm going to need the brake drum, actuator lever and brake rod. Oh yeah, this is on my '83 Heritage Special.

Moral of the story, be sure you tighten everything after you make a repair.

Yep, it'll happen. PO did it. He took the torque bar off to fit a wider tire, then hose clamped it to the swing arm. Yes, hose clamped the torque bar to the swing arm thinking it would, mysteriously, work.

when I started riding many more years ago than I care to think about there was a guy everyone called "Finger-tight Charlie" he would put stuff on his bike with intentions of tighting it up later, had a lot of stuff fall off his bike, oil plugs fall out ect. it's best not to forget crap like that :laugh: don't make a habit of it bd or you might end up with a new nickname

^:laugh:

My dad had a friend that was positive that "...all it needs is Permatex". His car engine moved from all that crap holding it together.

The bolts for that bar also get a cotter pin after they're tight - so they can't fall out even if they do get loose.

when I started riding many more years ago than I care to think about there was a guy everyone called "Finger-tight Charlie" he would put stuff on his bike with intentions of tighting it up later, had a lot of stuff fall off his bike, oil plugs fall out ect. it's best not to forget crap like that :laugh: don't make a habit of it bd or you might end up with a new nickname

"Finger-tight Charlie". Shit, that's funny. I'll do my best to avoid having that mantle laid on me.

The bolts for that bar also get a cotter pin after they're tight - so they can't fall out even if they do get loose.

Are you referring to the tensioner bar? The PO must have done something to it because there wasn't a hole through the bolt that held the bar to the drum. It was a simple bolt and nut (with lock nut). I'll make sure that I get the right setup once I find a replacement drum.

Looks like I can't salvage the brake rod either. Going to be scrounging for that along with the drum and actuator lever.

dude im glad your here to tell your story,i bet you look funny in your dad's pants after you messed yours..

i have a chrome rear wheel and all the brake parts u need

dude im glad your here to tell your story,i bet you look funny in your dad's pants after you messed yours..

i have a chrome rear wheel and all the brake parts u need

That makes 2 of us!!! :laugh:

Surprisingly, I didn't soil myself...most likely because the gravity of the situation didn't set in until I pulled off the road and saw what happened. Really didn't know what happened until I stopped. I still had my front brake and was downshifting and engine braking.

Could I get just the brake drum and actuator lever? My wheel is good. Hang on and I'll post a pic of what I need. A picture is worth 1000 words.

WacoBrian, Here is all I need (just so there isn't any confusion).
DrumandLever.jpg

If these are the two parts you can ship I'd like to speak to you. Can you PM me your phone number?

You may need a few more parts than you think. The bolts at both ends of the torque arm use cotter keys. They are special shouldered bolts. The front one has a flat washer and nut, the rear a flat washer, lock washer, and nut - besides the cotter pin. Part #s 39-45 .....

TorqueArm.jpg

The rear bolt (#39) may also have a special oval shaped head so it drops into a depression on the backside of the brake plate.

Looking at the diagram 5twins, it appears that the PO must have lost 40, 43, 44 and 45 so he just threw a standard bolt and washer in there. I'll remedy that problem soon now that gggGary is on the job. He's setting me up.

I'll have to take a close look at the swingarm end just to be sure nothing screwy is going on up there.

I kid you not, the EXACT same thing just happened to me today. Bolt fell off, hit the brake to pull over after hearing a rattling sound as the drum stay arm dragged on the ground... rear brake rod snapped and spun around the axle. mine didnt manage to twist splined shaft that much though, all I need is the rod peice. No luck finding it anywhere.

I learned a lesson.

Glad im not alone!:thumbsup:

cotter pins are there for a reason, its cool that both of you guys came out unhurt.

My problem was a mental lapse. I just flat out forgot to tighten the tensioner arm bolt and put the cotter pin in. Fortunately this particular failure mode seems to be consistent in just dropping the tensioner arm and wrapping the brake rod around the axle.

Glad you're ok abeaulieu06. Heh, too bad you didn't see my post BEFORE you experienced this. :laugh:

this happened to me two days ago. bolt came off the back brake stay, drum spun when i hit the brakes, broke the brake rod and jammed the acuating arm between the drum and frame. skidded to a stop. luckily i was just going around my neighborhood.

Back