Oh, Lordy...I've become one of THEM

I only have tinnitus when you guys bring it up!
Seriously, it's a mental feedback loop, you can mentally reinforce or cancel the noise, Your choice.
My ignoring it is DIY, but it's a studied and applied therapy.
One link;
https://www.ata.org/train-the-brain-to-tackle-tinnitus
Worth looking into?
Pretty much what I've been doing without having known about it. I don't hear it unless I think about it.

Jim, I can't even imagine dealing with that!

I had that album too. Did yours have the skip right when the song started? Everybody I knew who had that album had the same skip in the same spot.

Bookmarked! I have noticed that when I have almost anything on in the background, music or television or people talking, I am almost completely unaware of it. So maybe a distraction helps?
certainly most noticeable in a quiet room.
Not that I recall, but my behavior at the time rendered me with spotty memories.

Sound in the shop is easy to do. Old 30-75 watt recievers are a dime a dozen. Our old ears can't hear the difference between a radio shack reciever and a marrantz. Speakers are a little different but still cheaply available. The secret is a $10-$15 bluetooth reciever plugged into one of the reciever inputs (not turntable input). I walk into the garage and select whatever I want on my phone, generally 70-80s country or rock. I have free 40 year old Pioneer speakers, a free 30 year old Denon 50 watt reciever, an old Hughes subwoofer and a newer phone that gives me virtually any music I want. Forgive the clutter, just getting organized for an Adventure Bike rebuild.
20231130_222058.jpg

Attachments

• 20231130_222105.jpg
    20231130_222105.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Sound in the shop is easy to do. Old 30-75 watt recievers are a dime a dozen. Our old ears can't hear the difference between a radio shack reciever and a marrantz. Speakers are a little different but still cheaply available. The secret is a $10-$15 bluetooth reciever plugged into one of the reciever inputs (not turntable input). I walk into the garage and select whatever I want on my phone, generally 70-80s country or rock. I have free 40 year old Pioneer speakers, a free 30 year old Denon 50 watt reciever, an old Hughes subwoofer and a newer phone that gives me virtually any music I want. Forgive the clutter, just getting organized for an Adventure Bike rebuild.View attachment 256351
If you have space for it.

Sound in the shop is easy to do. Old 30-75 watt recievers are a dime a dozen. Our old ears can't hear the difference between a radio shack reciever and a marrantz. Speakers are a little different but still cheaply available. The secret is a $10-$15 bluetooth reciever plugged into one of the reciever inputs (not turntable input). I walk into the garage and select whatever I want on my phone, generally 70-80s country or rock. I have free 40 year old Pioneer speakers, a free 30 year old Denon 50 watt reciever, an old Hughes subwoofer and a newer phone that gives me virtually any music I want. Forgive the clutter, just getting organized for an Adventure Bike rebuild.View attachment 256351
Or, if you're already using a headphone adapter plugged in the same way as KW's bluetooth, you can get a charging port audio adapter for your phone that will utilize the cable you have. I don't know about a home system but I've found a direct cable connection in my car (apple car play or android auto) delivers better sound quality than the blue tooth connection. Even to my old ears. Wouldn't have learned that except for a recent road trip where I plugged in so I could use map app on my phone. Up til then I always just connected via blue tooth and still do mostly due to short drives locally. Also available is a combo adapter with headphone and charging.

If you have space for it.
Or, if you're already using a headphone adapter plugged in the same way as KW's bluetooth, you can get a charging port audio adapter for your phone that will utilize the cable you have. I don't know about a home system but I've found a direct cable connection in my car (apple car play or android auto) delivers better sound quality than the blue tooth connection. Even to my old ears. Wouldn't have learned that except for a recent road trip where I plugged in so I could use map app on my phone. Up til then I always just connected via blue tooth and still do mostly due to short drives locally. Also available is a combo adapter with headphone and charging.
Speakers sit on top of "Kitchen" cabinets, reciever and sub hang underneath. There is never "enough" space, crap multiplies to fill available space, that is a proven physical law, stronger than gravity. Sound Quality is relative. I spent years around high power transmitters, 400 hz cooling fans, rock crushers and enclosed diesel gensets. My audiogram shows the expected high frequency roll-off so pretty good quality sound seems great to me.

Speakers sit on top of "Kitchen" cabinets, reciever and sub hang underneath. There is never "enough" space, crap multiplies to fill available space, that is a proven physical law, stronger than gravity.
I built mine into the walls, with their own baffle boxes in the wall space. The speakers are fairly decent car reproducers, well capable of what I throw at them.
I can easily replace or upgrade them simply by making a new baffle box front.
DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

The foot-square holes are for the bass drivers.

Originally fed from surplus Kenwood and Rotel gear but now an ex-video Aiwa receiver supposedly throwing out 200W (as if).

DSC_0007.jpg

I built mine into the walls, with their own baffle boxes in the wall space. The speakers are fairly decent car reproducers, well capable of what I throw at them.
I can easily replace or upgrade them simply by making a new baffle box front.
View attachment 256413

View attachment 256414

The foot-square holes are for the bass drivers.

Originally fed from surplus Kenwood and Rotel gear but now an ex-video Aiwa receiver supposedly throwing out 200W (as if).

View attachment 256415
I like that. I get zero reception AM or FM though I haven't really tried. A source, a speaker set and hearing the music or football game you desire is one half step to contentment. We can figure out the other steps and that is not important here. When we were younger we were either audiophiles or envious (a little) of those awesome systems. I think that when we get pretty good sound while fiddling with our old Yamahas we have a pretty good life. Now, what music do I play while fiddling with a Polaris ATV rear brake failure?

Yeah I hear ya
Your only other choice is to get the drill out ...

Back