Oh, Lordy...I've become one of THEM

My solution to music was to rip all the CDs I have onto my laptop which came to a grand total of 2967 songs. I then loaded them onto my phone that I listen to when I'm riding through the Bluetooth speakers in my helmet and I also put them all on a 32gb thumb drive that plugs into the sound system in my truck. Took over 12000 miles on the bike to play through all the songs.

My tinnitus is not military grade, but thanks to loud rock & roll bands (live), being around racecars (I spent a lot of time at race tracks as a kid), and shooting the guns (hey, it's only a .22, you don't need hearing protection, right? What?...), the background noise in my head is a cross between a high-pitched "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" and opening the bleed valve on an air compressor. Every waking moment. I had (have) hearing aids, but stopped using them, because they make all the other noises louder too, and I still can't hear (much). They told me they're supposed to give my brain something else to think about. I used them for several years, to no avail. Maybe one of these years doctors will find a cure...

My tinnitus is not military grade, but thanks to loud rock & roll bands (live), being around racecars (I spent a lot of time at race tracks as a kid), and shooting the guns (hey, it's only a .22, you don't need hearing protection, right? What?...), the background noise in my head is a cross between a high-pitched "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" and opening the bleed valve on an air compressor. Every waking moment. I had (have) hearing aids, but stopped using them, because they make all the other noises louder too, and I still can't hear (much). They told me they're supposed to give my brain something else to think about. I used them for several years, to no avail. Maybe one of these years doctors will find a cure...

I too have severe tinnitus, at times it can be quite maddening. I remember back less than 20 years ago, riding my old BMW, when I would put ear plugs in, everything would go absolutely silent, now the earplugs mute the background noise and it feels like it turns the volume way up on my tinnitus! :mad:

Tinnitus here too. I’m in the same boat as Tebo (rock, race cars, dumb kid stuff) it’s a constant ring in my head. I turn 49 in a few weeks and am considering hearing aids. Not just because of tinnitus, but I am becoming very hard of hearing. I’m not thrilled about it, but getting tired of saying WHAT? all the time. The wife is tired of that too.

Tinnitus here too. I’m in the same boat as Tebo (rock, race cars, dumb kid stuff) it’s a constant ring in my head. I turn 49 in a few weeks and am considering hearing aids. Not just because of tinnitus, but I am becoming very hard of hearing. I’m not thrilled about it, but getting tired of saying WHAT? all the time. The wife is tired of that too.
You need to get the hearing aids and use them. Using hearing aids will help you save what you have left.

Messaged Grandson asking about current music technology. Been thinking for a while that some tunes in the shop would be nice. Never have had much luck with CD players in that environment, especially with the noise and what remains of my hearing.

He immediately recommended Spotify, which I've heard of but never paid any attention to.

Well, now I have Spotify on my phone and James Gang blasting (sorta...) through my hearing aids.

Why does that strike me as funny? :laugh2: :D:thumbsup::laughing:
I distinctly remember a James Gang album, Rides Again I think, that said in no uncertain terms right on the label "Made loud to be played loud".

I only have tinnitus when you guys bring it up!
Seriously, it's a mental feedback loop, you can mentally reinforce or cancel the noise, Your choice.
My ignoring it is DIY, but it's a studied and applied therapy.
One link;
https://www.ata.org/train-the-brain-to-tackle-tinnitus
Worth looking into?

I distinctly remember a James Gang album, Rides Again I think, that said in no uncertain terms right on the label "Made loud to be played loud".

I had that album too. Did yours have the skip right when the song started? Everybody I knew who had that album had the same skip in the same spot.

Seriously, it's a mental feedback loop, you can mentally reinforce or cancel the noise, Your choice.
One link;
Worth looking into?

Bookmarked! I have noticed that when I have almost anything on in the background, music or television or people talking, I am almost completely unaware of it. So maybe a distraction helps?
certainly most noticeable in a quiet room.

It may have been a trick I learned early on tuning out my mother's voice.............
Literally got to the point where I could be looking at her lips moving and hear nothing.
Sad but true.
My tinnitus is caused by my left inner ear rupturing and all the fluids leaking out.... yeah, was as painful as it sounds.... caused by an explosive decompression. since the ear is completely dead, a hearing aid is useless.
The first few months of it were almost unbearable... to the point I started questioning my ability to live with it. Let that statement sink in....
Mine isn't really a ringing sound, it's a multitude of pops, rings, bells... all continually changing pitch and intensity. If the Air Force hadn't sent me to a shrink with a lot of experience in this field, I prolly wouldn't be here now.
Yes, you can teach yourself/be taught to ignore it, and he was a fantastic teacher.
It happened in about '83... so I've lived with it for about two thirds of my life. Proof of sorts that it can be controlled.
Nowadays it only bothers me late at night. I'll doze off for a short bit, then wake back up. I'll be in a sort'a vulnerable state where my mind isn't quiet up to the task of suppressing it. I liken it to a lion tamer in the circus... whip and chair in hand... with an obstinate lion who's not it the mood to return to his cage. Sometimes it's an all night struggle with insomnia.

So anyway... yeah, what Gary linked to works. At least an early version of that therapy has worked for me some 40 odd yrs now.

My tinnitus is caused by my left inner ear rupturing and all the fluids leaking out.... yeah, was as painful as it sounds.... caused by an explosive decompression. since the ear is completely dead, a hearing aid is useless.
The first few months of it were almost unbearable... to the point I started questioning my ability to live with it. Let that statement sink in....
Mine isn't really a ringing sound, it's a multitude of pops, rings, bells... all continually changing pitch and intensity. If the Air Force hadn't sent me to a shrink with a lot of experience in this field, I prolly wouldn't be here now.
Yes, you can teach yourself/be taught to ignore it, and he was a fantastic teacher.
It happened in about '83... so I've lived with it for about two thirds of my life. Proof of sorts that it can be controlled.
Nowadays it only bothers me late at night. I'll doze off for a short bit, then wake back up. I'll be in a sort'a vulnerable state where my mind isn't quiet up to the task of suppressing it. I liken it to a lion tamer in the circus... whip and chair in hand... with an obstinate lion who's not it the mood to return to his cage. Sometimes it's an all night struggle with insomnia.

So anyway... yeah, what Gary linked to works. At least an early version of that therapy has worked for me some 40 odd yrs now.
I can only imagine! I’ve been cautious with my hearing my entire life. I should have been that way with the rest of my body. Stuff does happen that we don’t have control over.

Yeah... like cargo doors popping open at 30,000 ft. Not much you can do to ward against that sorta thing.
At least we were all strapped in... ;)
Now, I completely understand the disability. I can also understand how it could drive you to do yourself in.

Ive tried every booster possible to piggyback off the house wi-fi but it wont permeate "The cage" at all.
Get an old modem with wi-fi, and configure it as a wireless slave.
You need one with external antenna ports, and rig up suitable single or double antennas, depending on vintage of modem. Should be able to pick up your house wi-fi ok.

One link;
Worth looking into?
Very familiar territory there...CBT & Mindfulness techniques.

The VA is very big into these and I've participated in many of their group sessions, they do indeed help.

Back