Oh, this could end badly...

So, long story short, SWMBO pitched a fit when she found out I planned to sell the FJ to finance the truck. In the interest of what passes for marital harmony around here, I scrapped the idea entirely.

Then today, I got a bit of news on the subject. The guy who has it for sale stopped by to chat with my buddy Dan up the street and, not knowing the deal was off, Dan asked him if the $14.5K price was negotiable. The guy looked at him like he had a lizard growing out of his forehead. "$14K??? Are you nuts? That's a $40K truck! I don't know where he got $14K from!"
(I do, right on the For Sale sign in the windshield!)

So, dodged a bullet. If I had sold the FJ and gone up there with $10K in my pocket to start haggling, I'd have been beyond pissed when he threw that number at me!

It appears that I am fated never to have an old truck to play with. I guess I'll survive...

So, long story short, SWMBO pitched a fit when she found out I planned to sell the FJ to finance the truck. In the interest of what passes for marital harmony around here, I scrapped the idea entirely.

Then today, I got a bit of news on the subject. The guy who has it for sale stopped by to chat with my buddy Dan up the street and, not knowing the deal was off, Dan asked him if the $14.5K price was negotiable. The guy looked at him like he had a lizard growing out of his forehead. "$14K??? Are you nuts? That's a $40K truck! I don't know where he got $14K from!"
(I do, right on the For Sale sign in the windshield!)

So, dodged a bullet. If I had sold the FJ and gone up there with $10K in my pocket to start haggling, I'd have been beyond pissed when he threw that number at me!

It appears that I am fated never to have an old truck to play with. I guess I'll survive...
How good was the truck, especially fit and finish?

How good was the truck, especially fit and finish?
I didn't go over it with a fine toothed comb, tho I would have once the financing was set. In general, sheet metal all looked good, paint was okay - not show quality, but decent - interior was clean.

My problem with that silly price is that it's NOT original. Had a modern V6 and 5 speed shoehorned into it. Sorta puts a dent in the collector value I should think.

I didn't go over it with a fine toothed comb, tho I would have once the financing was set. In general, sheet metal all looked good, paint was okay - not show quality, but decent - interior was clean.

My problem with that silly price is that it's NOT original. Had a modern V6 and 5 speed shoehorned into it. Sorta puts a dent in the collector value I should think.
Personally, I think that somewhere between 10 and 20 is about right on something like that. If it was say a small block V-8 with a modern automatic in it with modern brakes A/C, P/S etc., then it would be over 20K. It looks like he may have set the body on an S-10 chassis, which is very common. The one close up of the badge shows substandard paint, IMHO. I think you dodged a bullet. Lord only knows how much rust is hidden under that paint.

Is that a stock color ? I don't like it .. and wonder if a Outback farmer could buy one without hearing comments
of an unwanted sort like " Bangkok Lipstick Red "
40 k sounds high

I dunno, D.E.... IMHO, you might be looking in the wrong part of the country. I recently returned from a vacation in El Paso, TX. Plenty of trucks from the 50's and '60s running around the streets as survivors. The (natural) patina was startling. Only hints of pigment and primer, from all that sun, sand, wind, and dust. Somebody down there must be tired of driving "that heap", and be willing to part with it for way less than $14.5K. You could probably even drive it home...

Back