Oil cooler on oil tube vs side cover

Bushyeyed1

Cafe Racer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I am gathering parts to do an oil cooler mod and wondering what the consensus is for actual functionality of the oil cooler actually cooling. I have the side oil cooler that sticks out the right side oil filter cover right now so was thinking of just doing the xsjohn mod on the oil tube. I have read a lot of threads on the subject already and understand the function of both configurations.

Climate plays a factor as well.........In a hot climate the side-cover set up would be better than XSjohns........As read, XSJohn's set up would cool the top end more. He states he had a cover for the cooler when temps went down to 70F or lower

Climate plays a factor as well.........In a hot climate the side-cover set up would be better than XSjohns........As read, XSJohn's set up would cool the top end more. He states he had a cover for the cooler when temps went down to 70F or lower

The more I read about it the more I believe the side cover will be the best option for me functionally. I will probably try and plumb it to where I can still use the side cooler filter cover. I got a used side cover coming in to play with and if it works then it has a oil sight glass window too.

Back