oil dripping

jmink427

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
:( I have had this bike a week and have noticed it leaves an oil puddle when it sit after riding it... The oil appears to be coming from the two breather tubes from the rocker cover.... Any solutions? I haven't noticed any blow-by coming from the tubes...

Too much oil?
I believe you have the '75, would help to put your bike info in a signature.
Kopcickle posted some of the spec changes that occured over the years and one of them was a move to 2500cc down from 3000 cc on the oil IIRC.

Is a '75.. The case shows 2500cc on it... It was a little over filled showing on the dipstick. I'm sure the PO just changed it before I bought it.. I need to change it myself to make sure it has the right oil in it since the clutch slips in high gear a little... If that don't help I guess I need to address the clutch....

You shouldn't fill these all the way to the full mark, even on the ones marked 2500cc. Fill half way between high and low marks or you will get excessive blowby out the breather. You may need new clutch springs, very common problem on these.

You shouldn't fill these all the way to the full mark, even on the ones marked 2500cc. Fill half way between high and low marks or you will get excessive blowby out the breather. You may need new clutch springs, very common problem on these.

Thanks for the information..... What is a good oil for these bikes... I don't know much about oil and wet clutches...... I do know that automotive oil isn't suppose to be good for them..... I was at the local parts house and they had a few motorcycle oils.

I feel "specialty" oils are a waste of money on this bike. The filtration system is very crude so you really need to change the oil and check/clean the filters often, like every thousand miles. An expensive synthetic oil that can run 10,000 miles does no good in this case, it's just a waste of money. I use any oil without the "Energy Conserving" endorsement. Those oils have additives that can make your clutch slip. Typically, only 30wt and below have that endorsement so I run 20-50 car oil. Many like the 15-40 diesel oil. I tried it but the 10 point thinner rating resulted in more top end noise so I went back to the 50.

Back