Oil filter guard

Dom

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I've just cut an oil filter guard from a Stella can, great because I could cut it with scissors but it has got me wondering if it could be too flimsy. Is there any chance that it could tear and be drawn into the engine or am I worrying unnecessarily?

My design is essentially a rip off of @5twins

I wasn't happy with my first attempt so I rooted around the house and every cupboard in the hope of finding some thicker aluminium but found nothing. Back to the garage where I found a damaged length of stainless flue pipe which amazingly I was able to cut with a heavy duty pair of scissors. Worked a treat
20221008_175555.jpg

Attachments

• 20221008_175544.jpg
    20221008_175544.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 63
On the ones I made, I found I needed to trim this spot down a little lower .....

TrimHere.jpg

...... because it hit and wouldn't allow me to swing the filter and plate up into the engine. Also, even though covered, this isn't a 100% oil tight seal, so be sure to still patch any holes or tears in the screening.

I was assuming it was more to keep the mesh from a 'direct hit' as it were. The great thing about xs oil change frequency is that I'll be dropping it again in 2k miles so can review it then. It was a new filter bought by the PO and only done a few thousand miles but had already begun to look slightly deformed, do you think I need to make a mk3 version @5twins

I think you'll be OK with what you've got, but you may want to drop the filter sooner than 2K miles being that you're testing out the strength of your guard. I routinely try to do my oil changes every 1000 to 1200 miles. Some epoxy theirs right to the filter but I specifically made my guard removable like this so I could inspect the screening underneath it for tears. I've done a couple oil changes on the two bikes now with these guards in place and so far, the filters have been OK, no new tears. I hope it continues like this.

Yeah to be honest I'll likely not do much more than 1k miles a year so it will be serviced on an annual basis rather than mileage. Fingers crossed! Forks next to sort the leaking seal, I'd like to improve the 34mm one fitted if I can find any mods like emulators and new non progressive springs.

I drilled holes in the one I made so oil could still get through but not in great quantities, interrupting the flow is really all you need. There's bugger all pressure, only about 5psi when warm and around 15 when cold, Cold is when the damage is generally done, when the oil is cold and therefore thicker. Heidens have a nice sump filter which is where you want the oil filtered, before it gets to the pump. XS lubrication is more about volume than pressure. I have a remote spin on connected to the clutch side cover. I'd like another in the sump, but not to sure the lube system could handle two filters.

Attachments

• filterguard outer.jpg
    filterguard outer.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 64
  • filterguard inner.jpg
    filterguard inner.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 64
  • filterguard fitted.jpg
    filterguard fitted.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 62
Back