OIL FLOWING FROM OIL FILTER COVER.......

timbeck

HARDLY A GURU
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I pulled an old engine out from under the work bench and decided to try and fire it up. Put on a set of covers, fresh oil, boyer ignition and a pair of CVK's that were on the shelf, no charging system. Now comes the problem, when fire it up it starts quickly and has good throttle response. I'm happy but then I see the oil flowing out from the oil filter cover! What a mess, check the filter assy all seams good try it again, same mess. I change to a different cover , new gaskets same mess. It seems like the oil flowes into the filter area but has no return. I'm not even sure where the return is but it must be blocked. Any ideas ??? Other wise it goes back under the bench....

tim

I think I'd try a different side cover.... hairline crack maybe?

oil 1.jpg

10-oil-circuit.jpg

If it is there
Thee is a risk for poor oil flow and that is not good

However the filter can be clogged and there is a spring with a ball that can need service

I always smear Permatex on the gasket ..installing --and regularly gets scolding here for using it
Old habits die hard ..not saying It needs much ...but I do use it.
My argument is that if the surface is uneven groves warped scratched ..or not entirely clean the chemical helps.

1676502077560.png

Check to make sure the 2 screws are not too long that hold the 2 hole cover on. They go into blind holes. If they bottom out before the cover is compressed it will leak. It has happened before. Especially if it is a 256 cover.

Check to make sure the 2 screws are not too long that hold the 2 hole cover on. They go into blind holes. If they bottom out before the cover is compressed it will leak. It has happened before. Especially if it is a 256 cover.
If I remember right there was also washers under the heads of the Allen Screws that can affect

JP I'm going to try your idea removing the filter. Hey Skull I think you may have hit on it and yes a cold fire up has lots of pressure. GLJ 'll check n the screws. I've got a lot of detective work to do, hope it pays off....

tim

Well, JP I took your advise and removed the filter but installed the retaining bolt. GLJ , I also used your shorter screw trick. No filter , No leak. Put the filter in big leak. I installed another new filter that seamed identical. I robbed my Great-grandson's Play-Doh and used it to see the clearance inside the `cover. It showed no clearance issue. However the original "new" filter showed clearance issues with the cover. Thanks to all my leak has been cured......

tim

The parts diagram doesn't call for copper washers on those two oil filter cover screws but you often find them there. I've never used them there and never had a leak. Where copper washers are called for is on the four lowest screws on the side cover, the ones that sit under the oil level .....

Right Side Cover.jpg

Where copper washers are called for is on the four lowest screws on the side cover, the ones that sit under the oil level .....
Fwiw... I don't use the copper washers down there and don't have any leaks. Never understood the need for 'em considerin' they're blind holes. :umm:

always smear Permatex on the gasket ..installing --and regularly gets scolding here for using it
Old habits die hard ..not saying It needs much ...but I do use it.

First time I saw a post where someone got their butt chewed for Permatexing I almost left a "Hey, lighten up!" comment -- but since the post was 10 years old and I'm new, I wisely kept my mouth shut. Now after having spent several hours removing ancient black goop from baffle holes and filter seats and a dozen other places it didn't belong, I would gladly hunt down the PO and host a BBQ (guess whose the main course!). That said, if you do it right and you can work her after without cussing yourself out, it's your bike. But for the next owners' sake, a light coat of cup grease is a wonderful solution to keeping the gaskets in place till the bolts are in. And hey. It's easy to see if you get it where it shouldn't be.

Back