OIL FLOWING FROM OIL FILTER COVER.......

First time I saw a post where someone got their butt chewed for Permatexing I almost left a "Hey, lighten up!" comment -- but since the post was 10 years old and I'm new, I wisely kept my mouth shut. Now after having spent several hours removing ancient black goop from baffle holes and filter seats and a dozen other places it didn't belong, I would gladly hunt down the PO and host a BBQ (guess whose the main course!). That said, if you do it right and you can work her after without cussing yourself out, it's your bike. But for the next owners' sake, a light coat of cup grease is a wonderful solution to keeping the gaskets in place till the bolts are in. And hey. It's easy to see if you get it where it shouldn't be.
In VW days and on an R 27 rocker cover, and such things, I used permatex - but always cleaned and painted both surfaces (unless I wanted to reuse the gasket like on VW rockerbox covers) painted with aluminum spray paint. (iirc this came from advice in Questions and Answers.. This makes a parting agent that seals, but snaps clean off with a tap or two. It's lottawork, and fussy. It worked. No leaks. Some people position gaskets with rubber cement...I nowdays tend to use blue loktite and the aluminum spray trick, notzomessy.

ref> https://www.ebay.com/itm/266667138202 (Questions and Answers, for all y'all younger fellers.)
Obviously the shellac permatex was what they (we) had to work with... but we could buy very nice chemicals, and there were not very many laws...or cameras...and things went well, mostly...

Back