Oil Leak Problem

GuytheBrave

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a new rider/member and a proud owner of a 1982 XS650. My bike is in overall good condition with just a few issues that I want to address. The first of which is an oil leak that is occurring on the left side of the engine. It is dripping substantially onto the chain (consequently being sprayed onto the tire), onto the exhaust pipe, and down the kickstand. I have been adding a little oil every few days and this seems to be fixing the problem temporarily. Since I am to new to motorcycles in general, I would love some opinions on this...
1: Is it bad to ride it in this condition?
2:Any ideas what could be causing it?
3:Any (inexpensive) fixes to said oil leak?
Thanks!!!

Welcome aboard!
Pinpoint where that leak is coming from and then go from there as it could be a couple of things. Pull the left cover, clean it up real good around the pushrod seal and the front sprocket. Dust the area with baby powder and then start her up and see where she wets herself. Put an air fan to the front of the engine to keep her cool if you're going to be idling any length of time.
Report back once the leak if found.
Post some pics.

Awesome, I'm away at school now... so it might be a few weeks until I get to tear into this. I appreciate the input by you guys! I'll be sure to take and post some pics of the issue/repair.

Back