Oil leak!

Sweatybuns901

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I just got my bike put together and running! Had the top end rebuilt by a shop and I’m leaking a small bit of oil under the back right cover. Is it normal to leak a bit during break in time before re-torque?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 44
It it was me I would check that the nuts are tightened so you don't lose them on the road
Check the right value in a manual if not experienced with tools.

Oil leaks are never normal IMO. I'd clean it off with some contact cleaner and then dust the area and top of valve cover with baby powder. That'll pinpoint (leave a trail in the powder) where it's actually coming from next time ya ride it....go from there

Torque on those tappet cover nuts is 6-7ftlbs

Last edited:
Oil leaks are never normal IMO. I'd clean it off with some contact cleaner and then dust the area and top of valve cover with baby powder. That'll pinpoint (leave a trail in the powder) where it's actually coming from next time ya ride it....go from there

Torque on those tappet cover nuts is 6-7ftlbs
:agree:
It's easy for a cam seal leak to run back and seem like it's from the valve cover.
What year is the motor? O-ring seal type valve covers are superior to the early gasket style covers (they interchange)
Also easy to open the valve cover and check, reseal, cough Hylomar blue, cough.
You'll be checking valve clearances soon anyways.
I'll add head stud retorque after first 100 miles.

Back