oil spraying out my exhaust

xscorex

Knives, Bats, New Tats
Reaction score
I had at first thought that my carbs were causing one cylindee to foul but after riding about 30 miles I notice ALOT of oil spraying out my exhaust. One plug is fouled with oil . Someone said my rings are toasted. I havent checked pressure as i dont have a gauge. What sjould I check first? My valves?

Shoot a compression gauge is only around $20 at an auto parts store and some even rent them out. You can also try the finger test. Pull the plug out and spin it over with your finger in the spark plug hole. You should feel a good bit of pressure build up when you do if not rings or a hole in the piston. If compression is good then maybe a valve guide or seal

Hi xscorex,
first thing to do is go out and buy yourself an engine pressure test gauge.
Or even go out and rent one.
It's as likely that the valve guide seals have quit than that the rings are toasted.
Or perhaps the piston has a hole in it.
Whatever, It's take the engine out time.

that sucks how hard is it to replace rings or pistons? I know i have to cl3an the carbs due to tge enrichers being plugged. It will only start if I use starter fluid then it is ok. As I ride every once in awhile the 2nd cylinder will fire and feels like Ive hit turbo boost and the front end picks up a tiny bit

Ok i have at least sone compression. Using my finger while I try to kick the bike. I get a strong suction then it blows my finger off thE plug hole.

Is this what I need? It says its for deisel motor but I would assume it doesnt matter. Bike doesnt smoke . Just a little at start up. Other side seems to run like a champ once I get her fired up. Fingers crossed its a valve seal.
http://m.harborfreight.com/20-piece-diesel-engine-compression-tester-93644.html

A compression gauge for a diesel will not work. As I said go to an auto parts tore they have them on hand and some even rent them. If you have a local O'Reilly's they may rent one and the real cost if the cost of driving to the parts tore pay for it then bring it back and get your $$ back

- - - Is this what I need? It says its for diesel motor but I would assume it doesnt matter. Bike doesn't smoke . Just a little at start up. Other side seems to run like a champ once I get her fired up. Fingers crossed its a valve seal.
http://m.harborfreight.com/20-piece-diesel-engine-compression-tester-93644.html

Hi xscorex,
nah, the diesel tester's gauge reads to 1,000psi so as you will be looking for the difference between 150 psi (good) and 100psi (needs work) the difference will be hard to see.
You need this one:-
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/diagnostics/compression-test-kit-8-pc-69885.html
and your post about having to use starter fluid and only running occasionally on both cylinders tells me:- clean the carbs, clean the carbs, clean the carbs - - -

I had at first thought that my carbs were causing one cylindee to foul but after riding about 30 miles I notice ALOT of oil spraying out my exhaust. One plug is fouled with oil . Someone said my rings are toasted. I havent checked pressure as i dont have a gauge. What sjould I check first? My valves?

It may be that the head gasket is passing oil from the camchain tunnel into one cylinder. You should certainly do a compression test, but if the head gasket has failed,a compression gauge can still show normal compression.

I see a top end re-build in your future.

Ok did a compression test. Both cylinders are at 100 psi. Looks like a rebuild. Where should I get parts? Mikes xs or is there a new better place I should look at.

What's the history of the bike/engine? How many miles on the odometer? When is the last time it ran well?

I recommend you don't order parts until you take the top end apart. Otherwise you will end up making multiple orders.

Ok. I put the compression tester on again. Its reading 95 to 100 on both cylinders. I then poured a little lucas transmission traetment into each cylinder and tried again. Now i get 120 on the oil fouled cylinder and still 95 to 100 on the running cylinder. im assuming I need to do valves and cylinders now. Having to do this much work do you guys have any suggestions?

Ok. I put the compression tester on again. Its reading 95 to 100 on both cylinders. I then poured a little lucas transmission traetment into each cylinder and tried again. Now i get 120 on the oil fouled cylinder and still 95 to 100 on the running cylinder. im assuming I need to do valves and cylinders now. Having to do this much work do you guys have any suggestions?

There's no reason to assume anything. Once you open up the engine and take some careful measurements/inspections, everything you need to know will be revealed. The Yamaha Service Manual has the specs for top-end rebuild.

If you have lots of money, you could hire someone to do the work, but if you are like most of us, you will have to read up on what is required, and do the work yourself.Its a great opportunity to learn engine repair.

The "Tech" section has tons of information. The Google Custom Search is very useful.

Back