Oiling System, Thread Repair

ReycleBill

Part Time Tyrannicide
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Well I finally got Nothin' Special down to 1 oil leak-- the banjo bolt in the top of the valve cover where the oil line feeds into the engine. And she's a big leak. Seems the threads came out with the banjo bolt.

My options:

1. Permatex Stripped Thread Repair

2. Time-Sert, Helicoil or some other type of insert.

3. Bore hole out bigger, tap, install a 90 degree brass elbow and replace existing steel oil lines with braided steel or rubber oil line.

4. Call Hugh.

5. Your thoughts?

And finally, can I do the repair without removing the engine from the frame?

When the top mount is removed there may be room to work your option 2. Time-Sert, Helicoil or some other type of insert. Tilting sideways will gain more space. Remove all shards or they will appear in your rocker gear.(Prepacked grease ? Vacuum?) Even better, remove the engine, rocker cover and shafts on that side for easier working and cleaning. :shrug: Ultimately it's your call.

When the top mount is removed there may be room to work your option 2. Time-Sert, Helicoil or some other type of insert. Tilting sideways will gain more space. Remove all shards or they will appear in your rocker gear.(Prepacked grease ? Vacuum?) Even better, remove the engine, rocker cover and shafts on that side for easier working and cleaning. :shrug: Ultimately it's your call.

Yep, my call alright. But thanks for your input. It's temping to rush into the job and attempt a quick fix so I don't have to tear her down in Summer but I think I'll take my time in the hope of gaining more insight.

I think, if I loosen the exhaust pipes and remove the motor mount bolts, that I can tilt the engine just enough to get past the frame.

Hugh- My oil line banjo bolt is stripped out. The one in the front of the engine where the line connects to the engine, do you have the stuff to fix that??

I agree with the insert idea they are stronger that the original threads thats the way I,d go fix it right the first time . You will be much happer in the long run:thumbsup:

I have always had a pro do that for me that way it was done right and I can do the job but I never had one fail so the money was well spent. the ones I have had to put in small rc aircraft engines are sent from fl to cali to a pro and I have never been disapointed with the work

Back