Old school look: Front Drum Brake

v8-914

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a new member, but a long time rider...

I am going for the old school look and I want to see if it is practical/possible to revert the disc brake on my 74 XS to a double leading shoe type drum brake.

I can find plenty of information about upgrading to disc, but can't find much information about downgrading to drums. :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help!
Wes

think the main problem would be the brake stay anchor point, without changing forks to something that used a drum it's kind of tough, if you found a set of fork with the same diameter tubes from another brand of mc might be your best bet (fork tube diameters)
http://www.ohiocaferacers.com/OCRTubeSizes.pdf then find which ones used a drum brake

Try an SR500 brake bracket like mine, it will let you mount it to XS forks without mods.Or you can weld a small lug to locate in the brake 'slot' like my other one

Attachments

• srbracket 001.jpg
    srbracket 001.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 588
  • srbracket 004.jpg
    srbracket 004.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 448
  • myxsbrake.jpg
    myxsbrake.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 1,050
Thanks. :)
Heres another pic of the bracket

Attachments

• sept 2010 016.jpg
    sept 2010 016.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 761
Thanks again,

I am sure I could machine that out of billet aluminum. Worst case would be to cut it out of a flat piece and then weld on the tab.

Even though I am a pretty decent fabricator, I do like to start with pieces and parts that are as complete as practical.

I have spent that past few days on the SR500 Forum and eBay looking for a Front Brake...So far no luck

Wes

Attachments

• SR500.gif
    SR500.gif
    62.3 KB · Views: 342
Don't get your hopes up about that SR500 bracket, ive been looking for one for a long time with no luck. I finally gave up and i'm having someone weld a little tab on to my fork tube.

Don't get your hopes up about that SR500 bracket, ive been looking for one for a long time with no luck. I finally gave up and i'm having someone weld a little tab on to my fork tube.

Yeah, theyre hard to find, I had two at one point, wish I hadnt sold the other..:shrug:
They were fitted to the late-model European & Jap market SR500/400's that had a drumbrake as optional equipment.(also to the BSA 'Gold SR' sold here )Yamaha in Germany or Holland should be able to source one if theres any left!
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:de
If anyone wants the exact dimensions with photos to help fabricating one I'll happily post on here :)

Last edited:
When I win the Lottery, I will be shopping at that place, lol.

Back