on- off head light switch on '81 question

XS771

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have 1981 xs650 with the stock ignition and charging system . I installed a on- off head light switch so the head light wouldn't stay on during the day . I thought that it might help the charging system work better and maybe last longer. I know its on for safety but will it hurt anything not being on , is there a downside besides safety?

I don't think it will hurt anything. I disabled the auto on feature on my '78 when I first got it over 5 years ago, no problems yet.

XS771;

The downside is your safety which is a big downside!

The 78's had a light switch from the factory, 5twins likely just disconnected the headlight wire on the Safety Relay.

You would be better to repair the charging system and leave the headlight "Auto" on feature. You can use a 40 watt low beam (instead of a 55 watt), and a LED tailight, which will lower the load on the alternator.

Yes, I simply unplugged the safety relay but as RG said, I have a factory switch on the bar .....

HLSwitchRelay.jpg

I run with the headlight on, my state requires it. I just don't like having it on when starting or working on the bike. I want the ability to switch it off at those times.

Every close call I have had with people not seeing me directly in front of their face, I had a working headlight at the time. I don't think having a headlight on your bike makes idiot car drivers any more perceptive. That said, I still usually run with a headlight on just for wishful thinking.

jamesgs4,

Well, you're just counting the idiots that didn't see your headlight. No telling how many people did see it and waited for you to pass before turning left in front of you.

I have an '81 too and I also wanted the ability to turn the headlight on or off when I chose to, but also wanted to have it come on automatically when I was riding, so I installed a relay that is operated by the neutral switch that turns the headlight off when in neutral. I don't have a headlight switch either.

Thanks for all the input Guys , I'm not that worried about the safety factor . I have been riding and racing motorcycles since 1971 . I still have a expert road racing license and still race and do track days on my sport bikes and take big risk everyday riding drunk and fast. I just wanted to know if installing a head light switch will harm the charging system and the best way to do it .

I'm not sure if you can add the older handlebar control/switch. I think Yamaha changed the wiring harness in '80 when they switched to the electronic ignition. They probably eliminated the wires for the switch. I'm not saying it can't be done. You just probably need to add some missing wires and change some connections.

Thanks 5twins, I Think you're right I believe the wiring harness is not the same as the '78 model . My '81 doesn't look like the photo you posted of your '78 . But I think I can make the '78 model handlebar switch work .

riding since 71 dont mean shit. and bragging about all your accomplishments and then talking about riding drunk and fast everyday makes you even more of a fuck. have a nice day sir.

You can use a '76-'78 control. '75 and older ones have the 2 cable twist grip. '79 and newer eliminated the switch.

I put a toggle switch on my GF's CB650 right in the headlight bucket, kinda hidden under the fork ear. Not that we didn't want her headlight on during the day, just to save some juice when trying to start the thing, because the headlight came on by just the turn of the key.

Now that I've rebuilt the starter, got the stator rewound, cleaned up the connections, new solenoid, cleaned the carbs and tuned it properly, it starts up great now.

Thanks guys for the help except for the rude and uncalled for profane comment by CROS36 . I just wanted to point out I didn't think that having my headlight on the the day time was really keeping me safe compared to all the other risk I've taken in my 55 years. I've been riding fast and going out drinking on my bike for over 35 years, I went out last night on my XS650 to 3 bars and had 6 drinks and I'll keep doing it for 35 more years . If I really want to be safe I would sell all my bikes and cars and stay home and watch TV and live a boring life.

XS771;

Drinking and driving a motorcycle:yikes:

OK so you don't care about your own safety...................what about the innocent lives you may take with you when the accident occurs?

retiredgentleman, I'm not talking about getting so drunk I cant stand up or walk, just a good buzz . And I do care about my safety and others and my wife who rides with me . If I couldn't ride with a good buzz on I think I would have been dead or in a wheelchair by now. Luck will only last a short time after 35+ years of driving drunk and stoned I think some level of skill comes into play. And I also believe that 25 years of semi pro road racing and 40 years of dirt bike riding and drag racing helps . I have a expert road racing license that you can't go out and buy ,you have to earn it by wining races . I'm not bragging just giving the facts and the fact is I'm a better rider when riding buzzed than 90% of the sober riders.what else can I say but in over 250,000 fast and furious motorcycle street miles since 1971 no accidents and no DWI's . The only time I ever crashed was in a race on the race track.

Back