One of the brake lights won't illuminate.

IceChip91

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Everything was working fine, but then I moved 1,400 miles with the bike on the back of a uhaul. Now the bulb on the right side won't activate when the brake is engaged. Running lights, turn signals and headlight are all working fine. I switched the two bulbs and even bought some new bulbs with no change.

I tried searching for a similar situation but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks

I had one like this on the tail light: Check your contacts are good. Also, as in my case, you may find that a wire has broken at the point where it meets the connector so is only held in place by the insulation. Often a little wriggle of the wire will made the light flicker but apart from that the wire just feels a bit limp.

I wiggled them while holding the brake didn't get a flicker but I'm going to dig a little deeper. Also it's a 1983 Heritage.. Not sure why I forgot that.. Lol

Yeah, works fine but when I engage the brake the right one turns off completely.

Hi Chip and welcome,
2 bulbs in the '83's tail light, one works as it should, t'other one works as a tail light but hit the brake and it goes dark?
Classic symptom that the allegedly faulty bulb is OK but it's body isn't grounding to the lamp holder.
Remove the bulb and check it on a battery to be sure it's OK.
Then see if cleaning the bulb & holder fixes the problem.

Okay, so I noticed the wire leading into the spade connector was a little weak. So I applied some pressure pushing the wire closer to the connector while hitting the brakes and it flickered. Once I get another connector hooked up I should be all set!

I'll let you guys know.

Thanks for the idears!

Back