One side rich, one side lean

smiles79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok so my bike was getting a high idle at stop lights, so I decided to check the plugs. Clearly one side is rich and one is lean. How much of an adjustment should be made to the mixture screws? I have pods, free-er exhaust, and vm34s. I would tell you the jets if uploadfromtaptalk1430171173960.jpguploadfromtaptalk1430171206640.jpgi remembered. Here's to hoping I don't need to rejet!

Smiles

Could be a number of things, timing out on one side,(depending on what ignition you are using) balancing of the carbs, one carb leaking slightly, or could even be a slight air leak on one side.

Did you buy the VM carbs or did they come on the bike? If you bought them, were they a pre-jetted 650 kit or just generic off-the-shelf VMs? Regardless, you need to disassemble both carbs and write down all the jet sizes, the needle number, and the slide number. There are about a million different jets, needles, and slides available for these carbs and you could spend the rest of your life trying different combinations of those parts. Luckily, baselines of what works have been established. Download the VM carb guide that grizld1 wrote to get started.

Back