Opinion on bars for my build, please...

BobbedSled

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Note... that is not the final tank just a mock up tank while I build. Final tank is the exact same but it painted which is why it is not on the bike and the painted fender is taped.

Recently had to change from Springer back to conventional forks, I plan on replacing the clamps and fork lowers and head light with chrome/polished bits but in the process I want to swap bars. I am probably going to go to a 21" front rim as well.

I can't seem to decide or rather I can't be objective to myself so I figured I'd ask you guys. For apes I would go slightly lower 10" the pics below are 12", and go with the more modern down turned bat type whown in chrome below. Not exactly those I would have some custom built but this gives the idea, I think traditional apes don't really fit my bikes look as well as the newer ones would. I think. Hence this pose ha ha.
502-124_A.jpg

But this gives a sense below of where I am. Ape Hangers or Drag/Tracker type bars or something else entirely?

Can't decide on the look as it changes the character. I actually have custom Motion pro cables for both bar setups already.

I am sure people have views I may not want to see or have not realized so please.... Chime in and don't worry about offending. Any other or all opinions and options I would appreciate and welcome, just don;t be an overt dick about it :p. I am sick of buying bars and front ends LOL, so I need to pick and when I am back in a few week move on with the build.

h3FBib.jpg

v7kI45.jpg

hzXPlG.jpg

XRLwOy.jpg

personally, I like the low bars on this build. I like apes on certain bikes, but I think the lower bars add to the aggressive stance of your build.

10" or 12" apes max. These arent big bikes. Any higher and imo look cartoonish. Low bars look good too. Have you considered "rabbit ears?

Myself, I like versatility. For general around town and short trips, I'd run these 1" rise z-bars.
XS1B-DragonBars-up.jpg

Then, for general-purpose troublemaking, I'd flip them down.
XS1B-DragonBars-dn.jpg

For long cross-countries, I'd run pullbacks, and swap the tanks from that 2-1/2 gallon peanut to a 3-1/2 gallon mustang tank. That pic is buried in a box..... somewhere...

Hi BobbedSled,
never mind how the bars look, what's important is how they feel.
Install the seat and the pegs, block the bike up steady and sit on it so you are comfortable.
Reach out and grip a set if imaginary bars then look where your hands are.
That's where your bar grips should be. Find bars that are shaped like that.

Right, makes sense. I had the seat on and with drag bsrs you lean forward which is fine for short rides. Looks good though. I suppose bars depend on desured position or vice versa. The bike was purposly designed long so its a challenge. Beach cruisers would word well but may not fit bike character?

Rabbit ears are neat Angys, but tend to be narrow, i found narrow bars look off on this particilar build. Titty bars look pretty good too.

Im getting my seat back and will put it back on and see.

Perhaos ill do as TooMany suggests and just get 2" tracker bars. Probably the most pragmatic option.

Good suggestions, thanks, more to do i suppose. Its like i want apes to work more than they actually will it feeks like. But ill look into less nostalguc apes as well.

Wow those Ducati bars are great! Need to check into those. Essentially motocross Renthal fat bars it looks like. I used to use those on my MX days. All my controls are all 1" by the way, they look to taper to 7/8.

Ugh Arlen Ness, I know... I thought of that too but I'm not there yet.

As far as length, that's why I still look for ape type options but if that fails i can check clubmans or Ducatis. Good options.

Last edited:
Back