opinions on 1977 xs 500

addison

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys , i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a 77 xs 500.
I am looking at one and i really dont know much about the 500, so i was hoping for some feedback. I have been looking to build a lite cafe for a buddy of mine who lives in the city
( it would probably rarely see the highway if at all )
peace

recently read a contemporary (British I think) magazine review of it, basically said it handled well, had good brakes, made power if you revved the piss out of it (for the time) but was rather heavy.

thanks for the replies guys , it might not be a bad thing if it's not the quickest thing out there as this will be my buddies first bike.
I wonder if they are as durable as the 650 ?

Addison I owned a new 1975. It had a leaky head but Yamaha knew of the problem and replaced the head. For a 5oo hundred they were very smooth and powerful. I put a pair of delOrto pumpers on mine and they worked great. The only draw back was poor fuel mileage. I could not crack 50 miles per gallon even at 55 mph. My best was 47mpg.
I did like the bike bujt I sold it to buy my R65 BMW. The 75 xs500 had a similar tank to the xs650. 1976 and up had a rectangular tank and mag style wheels. Tony C

I agree with tonyc. I had a 1976 XS500C..........bought it new. Engine had the balancer so it was very smooth engine. DOHC engine made good power...........no problem to do the Ton. Disc brakes front and rear worked well. I had it for 13 years.............worked perfect, never had any problems.

Attachments

• XS500C mod 4.JPG
    XS500C mod 4.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 151
I like, my brother in law had one ran fine. I did read that the engines would grenade, but with proper care and modern lubes I'd buy one and have fun. I doubt there is much aftermarket support, you'll have to get creative.

Thanks guys , that really helps. I just got back from a short trip with the family so i should be able to check out the bike early in the week I will let you know what i find.
peace

Back